Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

need some help no turn signals

As some of you may know I just bought a 79 f150. Anyway the turn signals just quit on me today. Turn signal arrows don't light up either can some one point me in the right direction thanks.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
ok thank you. I checked the fuses and the turn signal fuse was blown. I managed to find a fuse in the glove compartment that was the correct size and 15 amps. I put that in and that fuse blew too. Im not sure what to do now.

Fellro

Staff member
It can be as simple as a bulb that blew and has shorted. Hardest part is finding it... Try the hazard flashers, they are a different supply circuit.

Well guys Ill retract my previous statement. Seems like I got a wiring issue. Like I said I put the fuse in and everything worked fine. I just blew it again and I put another one in and it blew that one too. I have no brake lights either and only one reverse light works. Where should I start. thanks guys

Fellro

Staff member
It can be wiring, but I would suspect a switch first. Been a while since I looked at one of those fuse fuses, is it labeled tail and turn, or stop and turn?

Everything runs through the TS switch.

Did it matter which direction you moved the TS stalk to blow the fuse.

Sounds like you have a direct short ..it would help if you could isolate left or right.

Remove the taillight bulbs.
Check operation
What happens when you have the running lights on when trying TS?

TS switches do go bad but it's rare.
You need to unplug harness as well trying to isolate left from right ..front from back.
The harness runs down the drivers side frame rail to the rear harness.

Step by step

ForumRunner_20140807_223331.jpg

Here's a reference.

Fellro

Staff member
Boy that's tiny... I had trouble even with a magnifying glass, and I was too lazy to save it then blow it up...

Anyway, I was getting to the switch, like you said, step by step. What I wanted to confirm was that the turn signal and stop/hazards were different circuits. As such, there are 2 circuits affected, so then we look for the common areas, like the switch. Bulbs and harness are the other common points.

79wiring-1.jpg

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Boy that's tiny... I had trouble even with a magnifying glass, and I was too lazy to save it then blow it up...

Anyway, I was getting to the switch, like you said, step by step. What I wanted to confirm was that the turn signal and stop/hazards were different circuits. As such, there are 2 circuits affected, so then we look for the common areas, like the switch. Bulbs and harness are the other common points.

Section 32 might be easier to read here Roger:

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29058

Also...to the person asking, here is a troubleshooting manual that might help

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29167

ok guys im just going to replace the turn signal switch for peace of mind. My numbers are D3AB-13350-AA is there any heavy duty ones that I can get. Thanks

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
The number you posted is for the flasher, not the turn signal switch. And yes, they do make a heavy duty flasher. I do not have a part number for it, though.

Fellro

Staff member
Be aware that the turn signal switch requires partial disassembly of the steering column. Not an overly big deal, but fishing the wires back through can be a PITA. It also makes a difference between tilt and straight column.

Last edited:
Even though they are different circuts,when you turn on flashers,
your signal indicators should still flash.
And if they do,then that would tell you that the bulbs and conections
at the bulb is still good....I think....:scratch:

Fellro

Staff member
That's the thing, they keep blowing the fuse, so they do work temporarily at times, then blow. The power supply is different, from the switch out is the same wire. The brake light switch and hazards are the same input, that is why the hazards stop flashing when you put the brakes on, however the turn signals are independent of the brake switch and hazards, they do not stop flashing when you step on the brake, as they shouldn't. This is all due to different power supply inlet, but common outlet. The point where these circuits become common is the turn signal switch.

I checked all of the wiring and all of the lightbulbs, everything looked fine. I may place a bigger amperage fuse in it for temporary. The original fuse that was in it was a 20 amp that I blew a few days ago, and the fuse panel says I only need a 15 amp. Previous owner told me it only blew on him once. My local napa only had 15 amp fuses in stock so I just took them.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts