Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need opinions on best aftermarket body parts

Hey everyone,
I did some searching on this site to avoid asking a question that has probably been asked 100 times before... but didn't find much.
The grill shell and inserts on my project 79 are trashed. I see new replacements ranging from $80 to $500. Common sense tells me the $500 version would be better than the $80 one. There are used Ford versions available but rarely are they perfect. I like cheap but i hate poor quality and bad fit and the wrong look. Also will be needing a new front bumper and lots of weather strip rubber.
What suppliers have you all used?
Thanks and sorry if I'm annoying you with another round of the same old question.
wStrong

Attachments

• fullface0001.jpg

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
IMO, NOS is typically the best, followed by Dennis Carpenter reproductions.
It really boils down to what you want to spend...which relates directly to the quality.

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I like cheap but i hate poor quality and bad fit and the wrong look.

Not trying to be a wet towel...but you are not going to get both...In a perfect world, that would be the way it is...but it is not.

Thanks for the reply. I agree. there's no way to get top quality parts without paying the price. I want top quality and am willing to pay for it. I just don't have a feel for who the best suppliers are. National Parts Depot seems to have high quality parts and claims their grille shells are formed from original Ford dies. I've restored lots of old cars and 50's Ford pickups but I have little experience with "newer" old trucks. The last time I worked on a 78 Ford, you could get all the parts at the Ford house. :) Can you still buy a new geniune Ford grille, fenders and such from the dealer? That would be cool. I'm just asking because I figure folks on this site have probably been there and done that.
Thanks again
Wstrong

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
DC (Dennis Carpenter) has the original Ford tooling and dies and things like grille shells, sill plates are produced on those original dies.
As far as I know, Ford stopped producing parts for our trucks 10+ years ago.
NPD, Carolina Classics etc, buy from DC.
Places like LMC also buy from DC as well as offer offshore made parts at a lower pricepoint and quality.
EBay, is a good source for NOS parts, but like anything else, there are good and bad..trust me on this as I am doing an extensive restoration on a 79.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'm with Duncan 100%. My typical process is look NOS, then OEM if refurbishable, then DC.

IIRC, Ford was working on reproducing some items that Dennis Carpenter doesn't have the dies for.

Like they did for Mustang Parts.
I have lifetime guarantees on my Mustang Body panels.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts