Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need Headers with A.I.R. for 97 460

I'm in the process of getting a reman engine swapped in my 97 Crew. I had been running a set of Hedman Hedders that the exhaust shop guys modified to run the original A.I.R. tubes that they had taken off of the original manifolds. Now, after the 'first' engine swap (another story for later), the tubes leak and I'm stuck with header ticking. It sounds like crap.

I haven't had much luck finding a decent set of headers that offer A.I.R. tubes. So, my first question is: What headers do the rest of you run? The second (and now obvious) question is: What happens if I delete the A.I.R. tubes? What do I need to do with the EGR? What other things should be done? Will this effect the computer? Sorry to ask so many questions, but I'm just ignorant about A.I.R. Thanks for any help. smiliepeelout

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
It depends completely on your local/State laws . Really its illegal to remove any emissions component like that . But we all have bent the rules .

Here I just have a visual inspection on them at State Vehicular inspection Time. So if they dont look anything goes . 30 miles away they have full on sniff test .

As for removal. the smog pump and tubing can be removed . There r several post that cover the issue. On the small blocks block ports back head and egr plug off plate ETC. Plus some vacuum lines to be plugged.

Good luck on search .

Yeah if you don't have smog inspections just delete the whole AIR injection system. The system simply pumps air into the cats at cold starts to heat them up faster and reduce emissions, but it bypasses everything at operating temperature and is just there for the ride. Removing the system will have no effect on engine operation at all and as long as you make sure the vacuum lines are plugged, there are no openings in the exhaust upstream of the O2 sensors, and the TAB and TAD solenoids remain electrically connected, the check engine light won't come on.

Also note that the EGR system is completely seperate and performs a different function. I'm not sure how it is setup on this motor but if it's not connected to the exhaust directly it should remain as it improves milage. If it is connected to the exhaust and you don't want to add a fitting on the headers for it then it can also be defeated, remove the tube and place a piece of sheetmetal between the valve and manifold to prevent leaks, and just leave the valve connected normally.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts