Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need blow out diagram of E4OD

Ok guys I need a blow out diagram of an E4OD. I've spent HOURS surfing the web and every forum known to man and I can't find a link or even a book that has one. Help please. my truck was having a problem (now it's not) but I decided I wanted a diagram and I can't find one and that just FRUSTRATES me. :headbang:
Thanks in Advance

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Are you sure you want it? LOL!! Have a look...

e4odexploded.jpg

Ok guys I need a blow out diagram of an E4OD. I've spent HOURS surfing the web and every forum known to man and I can't find a link or even a book that has one. Help please. my truck was having a problem (now it's not) but I decided I wanted a diagram and I can't find one and that just FRUSTRATES me. :headbang:
Thanks in Advance

a lot of the problems that seem to be the e4od are not mechanical-they have major issues with electrics-shift pack and the list goes on-my service manual is loaded with problems those trans have with electrics problems

Crysann... Just outta curiosity... What did you want the exploded diagram for?

Ok i don't know how that happened but... i posted a reply earlier and it's not showing up weird... I guess i didn't give it time to think before i closed the page out

Anyway, i'll try to expalin the situation as best as i can.

About a month ago (mothers day to be exact), my truck was on E and I drove it down our hill to the gas station and FILLED it up. Got on the hwy headed into town, got the truck up to about 70 mph, drove about 6 miles to town, stopped at the red light, started to go again and the tranny started shifting "hard", *what the hey* went eat lunch with the kiddos, got back in the truck, no problem drove around town for a few hours and did errands. then got back on the hwy drove home at about 70mph, stopped to turn and the blinky light on the shifter is on again *grrrrrrr*. Stopped at gas Station got a coke turned truck off turned truck back on blinky light went away. Truck went back to shifting right.
truck did that to me for about a week. then ran outta gas again went to a diffarent gas station put 93 octane and marvel and low and behold no more blinky light *scratch head*.
While the light was blinking I took it to ford service dept. They said that "the torque converter was not locking in" I asked for a copy of that reading and the code. they refused to give it to me. then stated that it would cost me $2900 to put in a new torque converter *uhhhh hello dude, I may be a girl but I'm NOT an idiot*
then someone told me it was a silenoid INSIDE the Tranny, yada yada yada. I've had it on 2 differant computers adn it hasn't read any codes back to me (I'm assuming Ford cleared the memory).
Like I said it hasn't done it again so i'm stuck waiting on the Blinky light *grrrrrr*, but IF it does it again i wanted to be prepared and know what I was dealing with, I am a learn by seeing type person so If I see the diagram then i understand better
My opinion.... I had a selinoid or sensor acting up (possible bad gas issue) definatly an electrical problem not mechanical. truck drives fine, do slipping, not shifting problems pulls my horse trailer fine.
Anyway, if you guys would like to input feel free... I've turned it into a personal challenge now to try and figure out what the heck was going on... but my daddy always said i was like a pitbull i get ahold of something and shake all the life outta it LOL.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
On the E4OD autos the colum shifter had the od off button on the end. When there is a trans prob it starts to blink. If they told you 2900 just for a torq converted then there out of their mind. You can get a reman trans of ebay for like 1000 shipped I think and another 100 or so for a new torq converted. Id wait till it starts to happen again and have an ind shop read it out. They are usually nicer then the dealers and are cheaper. Like our shop(the one I work at) lol.
Here is a link to a web site where they take the E4OD apart and rebuild it.
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/projects/e4od/index.htm

Yes it was the OD indicator light blinking on the end of the shifter (sorry didn't mean to confuse anyone). Yeah, i know the dealership was crazy. All they saw were big blue eyes and boobs (sorry hope I don't offend anyone). they assumed i was a stupid girl *grrrrrrrrrr* Anyway, I'm just palying the waiting game to see if it does it again. Thank you so much for the link, at least I can study up and be prepared to have an intelligent conversation with a mechanic about what the problem. Once again Thanks BUNCHES

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Oh, that's my bad. I just couldn't think of what flashed.. I guess it's because I don't have an auto..

Oh and I haven't gone to florida on spring break.. :goldteef:, see what I did there? eh? :D

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
A blinking OD light means the transmission is in "limp mode". The transmission will enter limp mode when it senses a malfunction. If they pulled the codes and it said the torque converter wasn't locking up then you've probably got a bad torque converter clutch. The TCC only locks once you reach 35-45mph, so it would make sense for it not to enter limp mode at lower speeds, since it's not getting to the speed at which the TCC is supposed to lock.

If you DO get to said speed, and you stay there for a while without the TCC locking, the computer will sense this and throw an error, then tell the transmission to enter limp mode to prevent further transmission damage.

I suggest you go to a parts store and have the cods pulled -- Auto Zone or Kragen will do this for free. Alternatively you can pull the codes yourself with a paper clip:

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13

Errr wait... Did you say your truck is a 96? If so, it's OBDII and you can't pull the codes with a paper clip.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
If you refer to post #7 you'll see that she already had the codes read on two separate computers after it went to the dealer, with no codes found. :)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Whoops, didn't see that part.

Crysann, drive the truck faster than 45mph until it enters limp mode THEN stop and pull the codes ;)

Whoops, didn't see that part.

Crysann, drive the truck faster than 45mph until it enters limp mode THEN stop and pull the codes ;)

Sorry Skan- It's been two weeks since the light has come back on and I've put about 400 miles on the truck. I have to "chase" my customers for my job and I drove 40 miles one way the other day at 70-75 MPH and the darn light never came on. I've tried everything to get it to come on, it just won't do it :headbang: I want it to so that I CAN read the codes. Like I said I am wondering if it could have possibly been a Gas issue or just a crazy fluke...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Could have been a fluke. I guess all you can do is play the waiting game. As soon as it lights up, go have the codes read.

Your truck is a 96 and thus OBD-II, which makes it a bit more involved to pull codes compared to just using a paper clip. You'll have to have someone with the expensive device read the codes for you (unless you wanna drop a bunch of money on one).

The smart thing would be to buy one, but realistically NO WAY! So i do what any girl in my situation would do I bat my eyelashes smile and get one of my buddies to read it for me. Oh, the benefits of being a girl smilietease
Ok no seriously, have a friend with the scanner and he always helps me out. I'll let y'all know as soon as that darn light decides to come back on, I'm beginning to give up hope though or maybe I dreamed the whole thing...
Thanks a bunch for all the input and help ecspecially for the links and diagram. That has really helped I'm still studying it though if i have and questions I'll let y'all know.
Hey y'all have a wonderful weekend, weather is going to be nice here and we have a new 4X4 that needs to be broke in sooooooo, maybe I'll have an excuse to ruin another pair of tennis shoes LOL

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
You should be able to get a getto walmart reader for like 30 something bucks and it will pull the code for ya just fine. You will then have to google the code or call up autozone and ask them what it is. Or just post it here.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
You should be able to get a getto walmart reader for like 30 something bucks and it will pull the code for ya just fine. You will then have to google the code or call up autozone and ask them what it is. Or just post it here.
Negatory. Her truck is a 96 and thus OBD-II. The code readers are much more expensive than the OBD-I readers.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts