Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need a little help

3/4 Ton Joe

1st time ford
I am trying to put new ball joints in my 3/4 truck and cannot get the damn things out!!!! The old ball joints will not come out tried everything that I can think of here is a pic.

021.jpg

022.jpg

And also I figured while I have it tore down so far I would put new u-joints in it and cant get them apart either.
023.jpg

Almost looks like the guy that did it before me tack welded them in because I cannot get the little clips out because of a little tack weld it looks like on two of them. Any help would be AWESOME.

Thanks
Joe

Fellro

Staff member
You will have to remove the spindle from the axle as the ball joints have to come upward, which is blocked by the axle frame when the knuckle is in place.

Fellro

Staff member
The knuckle that is attached at the boll joint to the axle needs to come totally off. That is what I called the spindle. I imagine what you refer to is the part that the bearings ride on.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
You have take the u joint shaft out, then take the knuckle off the axle, and then using a ball joint press press them out then in.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
That should break loose when you hit the ball joint stud.
I believe the lower ball joint has a snap ring make sure it is removed.
put the castle nut on the upper stud and hit it with a small sledge it should break loose.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts