Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Navistar Suspends Production Of The 6.4L PSD (Must Read)!!!

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
That information came from my dealer principal, dont know how accurate it is. They would just need long blocks on hand. The "bolt on" stuff might come from other sources (catalysts,coolers,egr valve,turbos, manifolds,etc.)

I think Ford is in 'Spin Control" mode and will say anything to dealer principles to keep everyone from abanding ship. Ford needs to keep the dealers, techs salesman and news outlets to continue drinking from the same Kool-Aid pitcher!!!

Just becuase a Michicagn court (one judge) states something does not make it so for Navistar in Illinois... becuase they will find a judge in Illinois that will uphold the "work-stoppage" until Navistar gets paid. No way you can force someone to build or supply a product if they have no money to pay for such.

Bottom line... Ford fired the first shot and Navistar fired back with an even bigger gun!! Now Ford has to "spin Control" it so the dealers and sales people donot loose faith and the profits that they earn from selling the best selling diesel truck is huge!!!!!

This issue will be tied up in the courts for weeks or months... and Ford has more to loose than Navistar. Navistar can just refocus on their othr motors and platforms, work with Nisson as it is rumored in one of the articles mentioned above... or someone else???

Navistar can survive without Ford... but Ford's Super Duty line-up can not survive without Int'l's diesel motor.... and who would they get to supply them on short notice... no one!!!! May take John Deere, CAT or someother diesel builder at least 1 - 2 years to design, ramp-up and deliver a motor suitable to meet Ford's needs.

Ford created the war, fired the first shot... and even if they win the battle.... they may loose the war. Navistar may just pull the plug in a year anyways and walk from the business arangement???

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
What money? They aren't paying as it is anyway.
Right....

Even if Ford was paying for the motors as per the contract, I acan assure you that no "bean counter" is going to allow them to pay for motors that far out of normal production. Ford is tight for cash anyways and the "just in time" production method is critical for auto-manufcaturing effiencies.

Ford probably keeps 30 days on hand at anyone time and Navistar may a few on hand to cover over any hick-ups... but not 1 year (for eather company... especially Ford).

If that was the case... the Ford Spin Doctors would be out there telling the media and dealers to not worry and that a year is a long time... but nothing has been said... and you would definately tell the media outlets that it is not that big of deal and that Ford will still achieve their marketshare projections and sales forcasts... but their not.... why??? Becuase they will be out of motors in 30 - 60 days (or so)....

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
if ford wanted to, volvo has a diesel that could be made to work in the super duty beach. ford does not need international. plus volvo just aquired nissan diesel. besides, who told you that the dealers and techs still have faith in ford. everytime i am being positive about the 6.4 engine i have at least 5 people telling me the opposite.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
if ford wanted to, volvo has a diesel that could be made to work in the super duty beach. ford does not need international. plus volvo just aquired nissan diesel. besides, who told you that the dealers and techs still have faith in ford. everytime i am being positive about the 6.4 engine i have at least 5 people telling me the opposite.

Most of the work on the 6.4L was for emissions. I think it would take a lot of work to get the Volvo diesel up to the emission standards, and it might not be possible at all....

Wow... how do you force a company to make and sell motors for which they do not get paid for!!!! At some point... you can't do it.... I wouldn't

Navistar can be forced back into production because of the contract with Ford. A company can be forced to comply with the terms of a contract UNTIL the disputes are resolved. Money doesn't come into play. Well, what I mean is, Ford would also be ordered to keep its part, that is, pay. The contract becomes enforced on all sides, until the issues are decided. That keeps either party or both from suffering harm until a resolution is reached.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
Most of the work on the 6.4L was for emissions. I think it would take a lot of work to get the Volvo diesel up to the emission standards, and it might not be possible at all....

yes but the volvo diesel i am referring to is already in its testing with all polution controls.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
no its over in europe. it was in a article talking about the diesel program and it had the diesel for the expedition (possibly) and there was another that sounded like for the super duty. i want to say it was diesel power or four wheeler, or one of the truck mags.

you have a awesome galaxie. sweet ride.

Last edited:

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
no its over in europe. it was in a article talking about the diesel program and it had the diesel for the expedition (possibly) and there was another that sounded like for the super duty. i want to say it was diesel power or four wheeler, or one of the truck mags.

you have a awesome galaxie. sweet ride.

Thanks!! The 1961 Galaxie was my aunt & uncle's. They passed away about 13 years ago, and I've had their car since. It's all original, never been restored in any way....only a little over 26K miles....

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts