Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

my truck is smarter than i am lol

gota new riddle for ya'll. gave my truck a tune up and an oil change. it was in desperate need of both. i was out the other night just cruising around and outta the blue it started missing. so i pulled the new plugs and loooked them over to see if maybe something fouled them out. checked them for spark as well using the new wires. all 6 had spark and the appearance of all 6 plugs appeared normal. considering that they're about a week old. no oil,no corrosion,etc. so i decided to take it for a "spirited" drive just to see if it would help it any. while driving i noticed that when i "romp" on it the miss goes away and the truck runs as it should. but when i drive it "normally" it runs rough and also does so at idle. i have a repair manual for my 86 bronco 2 and i looked up possible causes for misfiring and it just says to check plugs,wires,cap,and rotor. it doesnt matter if the engine is cold or warm the miss is there but when i put my foot into it it runs perfectly no miss,clatter,tapping etc. any ideas?? im stumped here. as always any and all advice is greatly appreciated. truck has the 300 6 single bbl carb. and approx. 182k miles. thanks again for the tips. bill

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Did you gap your plugs?

I would suspect maybe a faulty plug wire.

Sent from my mudwhistle via lemmiwinks.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Also...on a 300 you actually can get the plug wires in the wrong place and it runs semi-ok.

Sent from my mudwhistle via lemmiwinks.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Sounds like the carb may have loosened itself, creating a vacuum leak. When you apply throttle, the cable pulls it tight, stopping the leak.

My 82 did that too me once. Took forever to figure it out

thanks for the advice on the vac lines and the carb loosening up. i will look into that tomorrow. as for the vac lines i noticed that the vac advance line was unhooked i dont know if it was done by me or if it was like that when i bought the truck but i re-connected it and it seemed to help the problem a little bit but not too much the miss is still present but not as bad and disappears at a lower rpm now(around 2k rpm before the adv was hooked back up around 1500 or so now) so ill check the rest of the vac lines and carb tomorrow afternoon.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts