Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My New Toy!!!

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Haaaaa ha hahaaaa...I got me a Mark8 electric fan from the boneyard the other day....26 bucks and works like a charm...gonna install it here in a bit.....I've been advised I can use an inline fuse so I think that's the route I'm gonna go.(waiting for the flaming)

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Meh...electric fans. In my junk, take em or leave em, not worth the time IMO, I've got no issues staying between 180-190 as is. Hope it does a great job pulling in more air for you though.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Why would you get flamed for an inline fuse?

Im curious as to whats wrong with them?

Heck i use them on anything that goes to the battery, cheap insurance...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^I think he was more talking about how the e-fan topic always starts a pretty intense debate on FTF. Hell, some members have even left the site over that debate.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I figure I'll get flamed over not using a relay......Ben, I never really noticed a difference in power when i had a smaller (way too small) e-fan on here before...but I was getting 2-3 more MPG's.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
im superconflustered now....

so a relay means that you dont have to use a inline fuse?

uhm......
no.

So you goin to wire it to always run?
or you goin to hook it up to a temp switch?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I would use a relay considering the amps the fans pull. But it's all up to you :)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Lets get something straight here...

A fuse is used for protecting the main power circuit. It blows if the circuit draws too much amperage (past whatever the fuse is rated for). This type of situation can happen when something bad happens and your wiring shorts out-- the fuse will prevent an electrical fire from starting. You should only need 1 main power wire to your battery for this entire fan project, and that is the wire that needs to be fused.

A relay, on the other hand, is more like a switch. In fact it's somewhat of an automated switch. The idea behind a relay is that he has 2 circuits inside-- the power circuit, which carries the electricity from your battery to the fan; and an inductive circuit, which will flip a switch inside of the relay and close the circuit when you apply +12V to this circuit.

Here's an illustration:

relay_diagram.gif

On the left you can see the inductive circuit and on the right you can see the switch.

Now, similar to a fuse, a relay should be used for keeping your circuit safe when power high-power-draw accessories such as an electric fan or fog lights. Presumably you will have a switch on your dash to activate these accessories but letting the full current flow through this switch and directly out to your accessory is a BAD idea. These kinds of switches are not built for such high loads.

So rather then using the switch to send power to the accessory, you use the switch to send a very small +12V load out to the inductive circuit on a relay, which in turn will flip it's internal switch and SAFELY close the other circuit in the relay and send 30+ amps out to your fan.

Clear as mud?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
PS-- Junior if you need any help with the installation just let me know man. I think you've got my number, though I can't guarantee I'll answer before 8 or 9pm Pacific.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
lol....I got it all installed...just trying to find a good key on accessory to wire my hot to......and no....I don't have your number anymore....

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Do me a favor and do NOT hook up any power until you've got it set up like I described in my previous posts. If it's not setup that way then you're truck could have big issues.

Ford Truck Articles