Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

my new posi axle!! 56K arning

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
smilietease
yup i picked up the axle in Maine tonightsmilieFordlogo . basically the story behind the axle is i bought it from someone about my age. he bought a 9th generation pickup that rolled. the body was junk obviously but the chassis was perfect. (slow speed role). he has an 84ish lifted bronco on i believe 35's.(no picture because it was dark there. he took the whole drivetrain out of the f-150 and put it into the bronco(engine to rear end). said it went great. he then took out this rear end to put a beefer offroad axle in. the truck it originally came out of was a california truck with about 125xxx miles on it. the axle looks pretty good. really no backlash on the gears which is awesome! the gears seem right where they should be. im planning on putting all new drums, shoes, hardware, wheel cylinders, axle seals, e-brake hardware, brake lines, brake hose, new diff fluid and posi additive with a new diff cover gasket and possibly a new diff cover that is aftermarket. the axle is a ford 8.8" with 3.55 gears and its a POSI!!!smilietease smilieFordlogo which is the main reason why i bought it.

now my question is it has a different yoke on the axle then the end of my driveshaft. it has the newer connection. can i take mine off and use it on this axle? is it just a bolt in?

IMG_1554.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

IMG_1559.jpg

IMG_1560.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
should just be bolt in.....I'm gettin ready to have to overhaul my rear too......it's leakin...

Might wanna lay off the lube then and it should dry right up. Seriously, good to see you finally found a rear you were happy with and are planning on keeping around.

flareside.. if the rears leaking, replace the dif cover.. they tend to leak.. we replace them all the time at the shop on this era of the f-series

and btw.. franken.. do yourself a favor and break it down and check axel seals etc etc.. saves yourself the hastle lateron down the road

Last edited:
defintely replace the axle bearings and seals. alot easier to do on a pair of saw horses than when it is in the truck. If you didn't want to do the axle bearings and seals, I would pull the diff cover, inspect the locker and fill with new gear lube (and friction modifier of course) good luck!

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
im planning on putting all new drums, shoes, hardware, wheel cylinders, axle seals, e-brake hardware, brake lines, brake hose, new diff fluid and posi additive with a new diff cover gasket and possibly a new diff cover that is aftermarket.

i already planned on doing all that. i did forget to put bearings but i will be doing that as well

You are going to want to restack the clutches in that thing, it's setup really loose from the factory and milage just makes it even more so. When you pull the diff cover off you'll see the clutch packs on each side, if its all original it will be stacked with friction plates seperated by 2 steel plates, where as what you want for traction is alternating friction and steel plates. You'll need 2 extra friction plates to make this change, these you can get in a rebuild kit or from another junkyard diff.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
lol ya Nextras I was planning on getting a HD aluminum one with the carrier girdle for it...but I also got an axle seal leaking...I may do the friction plate thing as well while I gott pullthe c-clips out ...I'm 7/8 of the way there....

You might want to look at backlash, wear pattern before you install it.

unless this guy destryed the rearend (like using it with no gear oil), which would be prevelent by looking at the gears, backlash isnt going to change, much anyways...

wear pattern? on what? the clutches?

wear pattern? on what? the clutches?

wear pattern between the ring and pinion, usually checked with yellow paint to make sure the pinion is contacting the ring gear in the middle. not necessary for this application as it is already setup from the factory. If you were installing new R&P like 3.73's or 4.10's then you would want to check the backlash and wear pattern.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts