Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My nephews first truck

nothing personal, but i hate california... They are so strict on everything. It kinda sucks alot.

No man, not personal at all. I completely agree with you. I live in California because my Dad works here and I live with my parents as of now. I will probably stay here for the remainder of my education, but I have no idea where I may settle down in the future...

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
I know it was standard in the Fseries for Gen8 (300 + 4speed), but I dont know about Gen9.

EDIT: I looked online some and it would appear to the the Tremec T-18 transmission in the Gen9s.

The T-18 is a 4spd but it never had an OD, it was a non-synchroed 1st gear truck transmission.

www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/t18_t19.htm
www.hicks4x4.com/prod02.htm
www.offroaders.com/tech/Diagrams/T18.htm
www.mackstrans.com/BorgWarnerID.html

The only 4speed manual with an OD in 4WD that i am aware of is the Tremec RTS, but i thought Ford stop installing them in the late 80's, like 87 or 88.

www.mackstrans.com/FordID.html
www.drivetrain.com/tremec4sp.html

Tony may want to ask the seller if it had a tranny swap, sure seems likely.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
It probably is a swap, but it's clean and works good. It will be fine for a kid that's gonna beat the snot out of it anyways.

He's good driving a standard. He's been driving my toys since he could reach the pedals.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
It probably is a swap, but it's clean and works good. It will be fine for a kid that's gonna beat the snot out of it anyways.

He's good driving a standard. He's been driving my toys since he could reach the pedals.

Nothing wrong with a swap, just always easier to work on when you know what you are dealing with. Could be a Tremec SROD as well, those are side shifters whereas the RTS is a top shifter.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Thanks for the info. When we look at it again, I'll know what to look for.

The T-18 is a 4spd but it never had an OD, it was a non-synchroed 1st gear truck transmission.

www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/t18_t19.htm
www.hicks4x4.com/prod02.htm
www.offroaders.com/tech/Diagrams/T18.htm
www.mackstrans.com/BorgWarnerID.html

The only 4speed manual with an OD in 4WD that i am aware of is the Tremec RTS, but i thought Ford stop installing them in the late 80's, like 87 or 88.

www.mackstrans.com/FordID.html
www.drivetrain.com/tremec4sp.html

Tony may want to ask the seller if it had a tranny swap, sure seems likely.

I looked up the list of transmissions fitted in the Gen9s, and the T18 is the only 4 speed standard available..

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Hey, I've got a semi-related question..

Are the shifters for an M5OD and a ZF the same?

I am guessing you are talking about the ZF S5-42 or S5-47, as there where at least 8 manual ZF transmissions made in both 5 & 6 speed along with 2WD & 4WD drive versions of each; at least 13 automatic ZF transmissions ranging from 4-8speed. In addition there are 6 & 7 speed manual ZF transmissions used in Tanks, and multiple Heavy Duty, Bus & Truck multispeed automatic transmissions.

As far as the S5-42 or S5-47 shifter swapping with an M5OD i have no idea, but here are a couple of links where you may be able to get the answer.
www.standardtransmission.com/
http://classicbroncos.com/ZF_Transmission_Swap.shtml

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Blackhat beat me to it but if it IS an SROD...that is one tough cookie.I had one in my 81 f-100 with a six in it and that thing would scoot...ifyou wanted to break 100mph...that's the tranny for it.I trhought the T-19's were available in the Gen 9's?very rare trannies but I've seen one or two.

Paco

Tennessee Chapter member
Ive got a 92 with a 4.9 and m5od. I got 230,000 miles out of the clutch and its got almost 260,000 on it now, i beat the crap out of it growing up it was also my brothers truck when he was younger. It still runs and drives great!

I always wanted a 4x4 with the 4.9, i bet they will go with all that low end torque!

Ive got a 92 with a 4.9 and m5od. I got 230,000 miles out of the clutch and its got almost 260,000 on it now, i beat the crap out of it growing up it was also my brothers truck when he was younger. It still runs and drives great!

I always wanted a 4x4 with the 4.9, i bet they will go with all that low end torque!

Yeah, 4.9L 4x4s are good trucks. I really like mine, and you can ask travis (same year as mine, but long bed) and I am sure he likes his too. :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts