Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My cam kit is here...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
ben just out of curiosity why would you want to park red. i would love for my bronco to look that killer. if it did i would probably drive er everyday no matter what MPG's it got.

You meant truck, right? Either way, thanks for the compliment. First off, Hagerty says she can be driven no more than 6k a year. Secondly, I do in fact love her, but she needs some much needed upkeep. Over the last five years, I wasn't around enough for the 'little things' to bother me, when I'd drive her 20 miles every few months. Well now those little things have become bigger things, and it's time for her to get a little TLC. On top of that, even though I have killer insurance through Hagerty, the more you drive it, the higher the chance something will happen to it, and I really don't want to go through another wreck with that truck. But she is fun as hell to drive, and is one helluva ego boost.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
So what is the story behind the bronco anyway? I havn't been around to hear

Looks like there was a failure of a spark plug, and bent a valve. Anyway, for the last few months it's just being a complete b!tch, and one thing after another needs to be fixed, and this is usually while I'm fixing something else. But you know how it goes with old rigs like this. So I'm not really complaining, just sick of my a$$ hanging over the fender, and I would like to be able to hop it, and trust it'll get me where I need to go with no problems.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
he probably has it insured as a restored deal.

I don't pay that much for my Ford as a plain old rig anyway and I drive it whenever I damn well please.

Except when I had to upgrade to commercial complete coverage for one job we did to get it on site. $120/mo!!!! but the boss paid most of it.

Also, that sucks about the bronc. I'm kinda goin through that phase with the GMC right now. front brakes rear brakes wheel bearings shocks tires $$$ adds up. The Ford gets maintained very well though. my income depends on that truck.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Your insurance company delegates the amount of miles you can drive your truck per year? Piss on that.

Not so bad considering she's insured for 25k full replacement if she's wrecked and a have a 5k a year parts replacement (with $500 deductible) and I don't really drive her that often. So it works out...oh and did I mention I get all this for $146 a YEAR.

he probably has it insured as a restored deal..

Correct

I don't pay that much for my Ford as a plain old rig anyway and I drive it whenever I damn well please..

That's what Thunder and the Bronco are for. Red is a trailer queen, that makes appearances at parades and shows...and until the last month only went on pleasure cruises about once every week.

Also, that sucks about the bronc. I'm kinda goin through that phase with the GMC right now. front brakes rear brakes wheel bearings shocks tires $$$ adds up. The Ford gets maintained very well though. my income depends on that truck.

Yeah...I'd say over the last 6 months, I've easily spent 2k in new parts and more weekends than I care to count.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Cam is in...just gotta bolt on the accessories, and fill with fluids. Then she'll get broken in. I coulda done it last night, but it was gettin dark, I was tired and the first NFL action took place last night...and I always watch it with my dad. I took a few more beer breaks than I was anticipating, I sold my van and other stuff got in the way...or otherwise she woulda been done. I tell ya, something about an ice cold Budweiser, makes the automotive hobby much more enjoyable, and I don't even like beer. The engine got degreased and repainted Ford Blue...It looks really good. I wish I woulda had the cash to buy the headers, because the stock exhaust mani's look terrible on there, but some time over the next month...some headers will be going on.

All in all, I'm pretty proud of myself, because I've always had someone there telling me what to do or at least looking over my shoulder. Once I got in to all that work, it was alooooooooot easier than I anticipated.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Will do, still have some things getting acid dipped today because the stains were so bad or had so much build up, but they'll be ready shortly.

Cam is in...just gotta bolt on the accessories, and fill with fluids. Then she'll get broken in. I coulda done it last night, but it was gettin dark, I was tired and the first NFL action took place last night...and I always watch it with my dad. I took a few more beer breaks than I was anticipating, I sold my van and other stuff got in the way...or otherwise she woulda been done. I tell ya, something about an ice cold Budweiser, makes the automotive hobby much more enjoyable, and I don't even like beer. The engine got degreased and repainted Ford Blue...It looks really good. I wish I woulda had the cash to buy the headers, because the stock exhaust mani's look terrible on there, but some time over the next month...some headers will be going on.

All in all, I'm pretty proud of myself, because I've always had someone there telling me what to do or at least looking over my shoulder. Once I got in to all that work, it was alooooooooot easier than I anticipated.

All that will be waaaaaaaay better when you choose a better beer.YelloThumbUp

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^To be honest, I'm not that big of a beer drinker, but I do taste quite a bit. And of the microbrews I've tasted around Knoxville, Charlotte, at festivals, etc...I still prefer the taste of Bud if I have a beer. Maybe my pallet is just that unsophisticated.

havi

third member
Torpedo IPA keeps me out of the garage too much, lol. Continued good luck on yer build!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Had a late work day and a lazy wrenching day...got everything together though. Tomorrow she'll be fired and tuned.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The Bronco fired and was preliminarily tuned last night. I've put about 50 miles on it already. I hate break in periods, cuz I'm babying it. I'll post some pics tonight of the progression of the engine from a 93,000 original mile engine to where it is today. Everything on that engine is less than 6 months old or been refurbed except the crank and pistons.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
yeah un huh... tomorrow well that was 2 days ago................

Damn...I didn't even see you typed this. Spooky I was updating and you were thinking about it. Also keep in mind, my buddy 'forgot' I was going over one of those days and locked up his shop...so that tacked on another day.

ok so how does it feel, like does it feel like more power is there? does it got a lope to it? or smooth?

I think it definitely feels more responsive. I haven't gone past half throttle yet...so I can't really comment on on more power, but it does feel torquier. As for the lope, there is some there, it is noticeable, but nothing obnoxious.

Damn...I didn't even see you typed this. Spooky I was updating and you were thinking about it. Also keep in mind, my buddy 'forgot' I was going over one of those days and locked up his shop...so that tacked on another day.

I think it definitely feels more responsive. I haven't gone past half throttle yet...so I can't really comment on on more power, but it does feel torquier. As for the lope, there is some there, it is noticeable, but nothing obnoxious.
That's the same cam kit in mine. I'm glad Tim suggested it. That cam may not be good for high rpm, but it will produce the torque at low rpm's. Besides, for an everyday driver you're probably never going to see 4000 or more rpm's anyway. Glad you got it going! What about your distributor, are going to re-curve it for this new cam setup?

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That's the same cam kit in mine. I'm glad Tim suggested it. That cam may not be good for high rpm, but it will produce the torque at low rpm's. Besides, for an everyday driver you're probably never going to see 4000 or more rpm's anyway. Glad you got it going! What about your distributor, are going to re-curve it for this new cam setup?

Yeah...it's been a good cam so far. I've opened it up a little more. Not a barn burner, but waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than stock...I also appreciate Tim suggesting it to me as well.

As for the dizzy...don't plan on recurving, but I'll need a new 'shroud' thing because mine is loose as hell.

Also had a slightly embarassing moment. She died on me today and I couldn't get her restarted. I hop out to see what's going on. I thought possibly vapor lock because the filter was just mocked in to place. So I pull the fuel line off...no fuel either. So I thought I trashed another fuel pump. I go to hook up to my electric pump, and realize my fuel line was kinked between my fender and P/S pump.:headbang: Beyond that, she's rolling fine.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts