Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My build update

Looks really good Buck! It is coming together. I've started on mine again. I'm setting a mid June goal to be able to drive it... it will never be done! I have my interior about done, I installed the windshield tonight, then put the (ford 1989 bench) seat in. I got it shampooed yesterday. I put my fenders on and fitting my doors... yes, I can relate, they don't fit perfectly! Now I'll take the fenders off and get ready to paint them when the weather warms up. I got my box sandblasted (inside, outside, front, back underside, etc). I have some dents to pound out, mount my flares, and fill a few holes on the top... nobody will see the top of the box.. it will be too tall! I'll have to post a few pictures...over the weekend. I'll probably fire it up in May.

Later...

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Well guys, I took the truck for it's first test drive today. I probably drove it about 15 miles or so up to a speed of 65. Everything seemed fine. I get a little vibration from stop to about 15-20mph and then nothing and nothing driving down the road. Not sure what that is. Steering seems OK. Loose compared to new vehicles but drives straight, doesn't pull or wander. Not much play in the steering wheel. I think I'll get a stabilizer anyway just to make a bit better. I could handle without. I haven't driven this old of truck for a long time, so I'm just not used to it mainly. I did find a couple leaks. My tranny pan leaked a bit so I tightened up a few bolts and if that doesn't do it, I'm going to just take it off and get a new gasket. My rear main seal leaks a bit which sucks and I'll have to tackle that sometime in the near future, but for now it's not bad enough to worry about. I just hate leaks. But it didn't die and leave me stranded or anything. Brakes work fine, so I'll guess I'll chalk it up as a successful first short test drive. Nice to actually be able to drive something that I've never driven before.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I burned my first tank of ethanol and it came out to be a whopping 6 mpg. Half of the driving was around town and the other half was between 50 and 60 mph and an occasional "get the hell out of my way" acceleration. I'm still toying with the carb a little just to make sure I get the truck to run at it's best. Runs good now, but a few times, it has quit a stop sign. I think I had the idle a bit low too. Gettin there though.

Also, here is another pic with the upper bed chrome on. After I got the chrome on, I noticed I have to come up with the rear of the bed just a little more.

IMG_1889.jpg

SC
Thats a beautiful truck man.

How about some specs on the 521. 6mpg is about right under normal driving. Mine burns a quart of fuel per second at WOT.

flathead95hp

Always a Ford Guy
Buck, The truck looks fantastic. You have done a great job with it. Good luck with the trim pieces, It will look great when its all on.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts