Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My 4 wheel drive problems

Ok so lately I had to use my 4 wheel drive cause of the snow. Well it seems like it hesitates when I engage it. I am moving but foot off the gas. Never had this problem last year. Sometimes it goes right in but sometimes it takes a little bit. And today I had to back my truck in a ditch to load my snowmobile and put it in 4 lo and it took a few for it to get out. It did it before. Like one time took me a hour and the other 20 minutes. Today took me like 5 minutes. Do I have a problem with it do you think? I dont wana take it in cause it costs me 100 to take it in for warranty work. But if I have to I guess I will. Just never noticed the delay on 4hi and it has been hard to get out of 4 lo everyonce in a while. So I dont know. Any help would be great. Thanks

blacksnapon

Staff member
Ok so lately I had to use my 4 wheel drive cause of the snow. Well it seems like it hesitates when I engage it. I am moving but foot off the gas. Never had this problem last year. Sometimes it goes right in but sometimes it takes a little bit. And today I had to back my truck in a ditch to load my snowmobile and put it in 4 lo and it took a few for it to get out. It did it before. Like one time took me a hour and the other 20 minutes. Today took me like 5 minutes. Do I have a problem with it do you think? I dont wana take it in cause it costs me 100 to take it in for warranty work. But if I have to I guess I will. Just never noticed the delay on 4hi and it has been hard to get out of 4 lo everyonce in a while. So I dont know. Any help would be great. Thanks
Are you putting the trans in neutral, then pressing the brake? You need the brakelight switch impulse before it shifts.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Check your fluid level, mine did the same thing after putting in the new motor and I checked the fluid and I was REALLY Low!

Helped me hopefully that is all it is for you.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
on the transfer case itself, but vince will know how much is supposed to be in there.

blacksnapon

Staff member
You'll need roughly 2-2 1/2 quarts in there. Pull the top plug and stick your finger in there (should be at the edge of the hole).

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
That is what I thought but wasn't sure on the newer ones

ok thanks. And no I wasnt putting it in Neutral for 4 hi. 4 lo I was but 4 hi I never had to before. Maybe it is just fluid. Thanks I will check it when I get home tomorrow.

Ok so I came across another problem. Now I know its messed up. Well last night me and my 2 buddies went up snowmobiling up north. Well my one buddies sled broke down and we went back to get my truck. It was snowing really good. I was driving down the freeway and was sliding so put it in 4 wheel. Well it sounded like I was hitting cracks in the road. But then realized it was a clunking noise. So I took it out and it went away. So I had to take it easy. Well I get to were my buddies sled is. Tryed to pull into the parking lot where the sleds park. Just looked like the first bank was big then the rest was fine but there was 2 feet of snow that was softer than I though. Well it wasnt so I tried 4 lo. Well needless to say I couldnt get out had to get pulled out my a damn chevy. The only thing at the bar. But it took me 20 minutes for it to get out of 4 lo. When I was trying to back up in 4 lo only my front tires were spining he said. I dont know if my passanger back one was but drivers one wasnt. So it sounds like I got a problem now.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
thats why i hate the new 4x4's all electrical stuf.. blah

hmm if its doing so much problem.. take it in let them fix it.. yo said its under warrenty right?

thats why i hate the new 4x4's all electrical stuf.. blah

hmm if its doing so much problem.. take it in let them fix it.. yo said its under warrenty right?

Ya it is. But I have to pay 100 to take it in as a deductible. My luck they will say nothing is wrong with it. But it shouldnt take 5-60 minutes to take it out of 4 lo so something isnt right

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts