Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

mustang 4 speed

thanks! i need it haha im selling alot of 79 parts and dirtbikes and random junk to afford this truck! being 16 and in highschool its hard! hah

well it turns out i found one! its a 73 top loader 4 speed i picked it up for 25 dollars yesterday at a local transmission shop, i told the guy about my truck and the struggles ive gone threw on getting it and trying ti fix it while doing school and a fulltime job on my perents padio and he said hell, if you give me enough to buy a case of beer you can have it! it was rebuilt he said it spins freely i poped the cover off and shure enough it was brand new and shiny! he mentioned that someone just left it there aperently they didn't have the money to come pick it up so they just left it haha, score on my part!

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
No 460 was in a Mustang...and why not use a truck 460 with a NP435/T18/T19? Nothing against cars, but I don't think there's a difference between car and truck 460's...

and it'll be easier finding a 460/4spd combo from a truck, I'd imagine.
How many 1982 or earlier 460's came with a M/T (or 4WD)? None.

First year for both: 1983, F250/350's only.

The T-19 was only available in F250/350's w/a 460, 1979/82 F350's w/351M/400's.

1980/82: The only FoMoCo vehicle the 460 was offered in was E250/350's.

There are TWO different 460 engines.

In midyear 1979, Ford changed the 460 engine...the block casting number is D9TE-6015-AB This engine has a weighted spacer.

The flywheel and harmonic balancer are different than was used previously, and the previous 460's do not have a weighted spacer.

Since this was a running change, there is no before/from a certain serial number or production date change.

Passenger Cars were unaffected, since the 460 was dropped after the 1978 model run ended.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles