Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Mis-routed P-brake cable!

It appears that when the dealership needed to replace the bed plate gasket a few weeks ago they removed the cab and mis-routed my parking brake cable when they put the cab back on. I just found out after my power steps stopped working on the driver's side (they had disconnected the power steps and when they reconnected it they routed it over the top of the P-brake cable and the tensioning of the cable when I engaged the P-brake finally yanked the wires out of the step's motor).

Here's the problem:
DSC_0384.jpg

Here's the question:
How do I get the cable back on the other side of the body mount where it belongs. Disconnect the cable? And if so, what's the proper procedure? I don't have time to take my truck back to the dealer right now, but I need to use the P-brake (lots of hills), and I'm afraid if I keep using it the way it is now, the damage will get worse and the cable will snap.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Take it back to the dealer, the damage has already begun. This way, they can re-route it and order you a new cable at the same time. If you do anything to it, you will have no recourse with the dealer if the cable breaks.

Well, so much for me trying to be lazy! I took it back to the dealer, they're ordering me a new cable. Thanks Guys!:wave:

Any updates? got the new cable yet?

Strange you should ask about that today. I went down there on May 11th, and I just got word earlier today that the cable is in and they can install it tomorrow.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Strange you should ask about that today. I went down there on May 11th, and I just got word earlier today that the cable is in and they can install it tomorrow.
Don't forget to inspect it before you drive off the lot...it could happen again.

Just lookin' out for my homiez
And I appreciate that. It was just a coincidence that the cable came in today, I still needed a reminder, because I had forgot about it.

Don't forget to inspect it before you drive off the lot...it could happen again.
I'm insulted that you think I'm so stupid I need that kind of basic reminder. . .Oh, wait! I AM THAT STUPID!

If I had been smart enough to check over the truck when I first got it back, it wouldn't have taken me 2 weeks and a broken power step plug to find-out that the cable was mis-routed and could've snapped at any time. I'll notice that dust ball hidden behind the couch, but I'll be damned if I don't miss the elephant sitting in the middle of the room.

I'm glad you guy's are looking-out for me, because I apparently suck.

All better!
DSC_0396.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts