Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

mileage- 2wd vs 4 wd ?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
More 4wd trucks here because 2wd's aren't really trucks. Now that I got that out of my system...hahaha, there's nothing wrong with 2by's. It's been my experience that 2by's typically seem to get 25-50% better fuel economy with the same engine/tranny setup. Still not great though, you have a 4wd with a 460 and you get 10, rule of thumb for me is the 2wd brethren will get no more than 15.

That being said, your question is a little loaded. There are looooooooooooots of factors to be considered, gearing, engines, tranny, dead weight, driving style, driving terrain, etc.

Last edited:

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
^^What he said^^

Minus the 2by not being a truck thing... :D My 2by gets a constant 10mpg. With anything this generation and older, I wouldn't wish to see anything more than 15... with a tail wind... downhill.

I'd wager its probably closer to a 2-3 MPG difference between stock 4wd and stock 2wd.

Thats been my experience, but it depends on a lot of factors and your or your mechanic's ability to keep a carb tuned well.

I've pulled 15-16 before with a 77 300 w/ C4 and 3.08 gear ratio. Put I had just fixed an intake leak and rebuilt the carb.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I would say 5 MPG.
Same as bear said 2wd trucks are like hens teeth around here.
Heck I thought all trucks were 4WD till I was in my early teens when a relative brought a truck up from down south and asked him why his truck was so low to the ground compared to all the other trucks. When he said it was 2wd I laughed at him.

The difference is in the size of tires, wheels, and axle and transmission ratios

I had a 78 F250 SC 4x4 that got around 14mpg on the highway with street tires. That's damn good for a 400 motor and 4.10 gears ;)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts