Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Mike ain't the only one with trans problems...

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Get 'er done then. smilietease

I'm reeeally interested in what is wrong with your trans skan. Of the three people i know that have installed the shift kit, all three have had trans troubles! I know mike (msb) said it has nothing to do with the shift kit but this makes me nervous about it. i have the shift improver and im thinking about getting rid of it over this. what do you guys think of the recent trans troubles on shift kitted trannies? coincedence?

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
Gonna cost 2500$ plus tax to get the tranny rebuilt , thank god it's on my Co. tab and not mine , really considering NOT putting the shift kit in after long condsideration, would be a shame if it really was the kit that busted mine.
Hope you don't have the same luck as I had Skank and you have no where near the miles I have on mine. Mine i has 187K on it.

andym

Real men are fanatics
They use the same transmissions as non-Centurion conversions do. :)

You can find lots of E4OD failure stories if you look. It's definitely not Centurion-specific.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah the Centurion thing is just a coincidence. Centurion didn't modify anything in or around the transmission when they stretched these trucks.

Last edited:
I know it's not Centurion specific i was just making a note of the coincidence. Thought it odd that we're all dealing with the same problem, more of a haha funny comment

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Pulled the codes. Sure enough:

628 - Converter clutch Lock-Up error (E4OD)

Must have pissed it off by using that switch, lol! It hadn't been doing it when I was using the switch before so I'm not exactly sure when the computer is watching and will throw a code... I'll have to experiment with it :)

Does that transmission go into hard shift mode every time there is a transmission related code?

If not, the code you have is there because of the mod (unavoidable) and the hard shifting has nothing to do with the code.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
No I remember a guy on the other site mentioning something about this... About how if the computer did sense the TCC locking with a certain amount of time after it was supposed to, it would shift hard until you reset the computer. Don't know why I didn't think of it before...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts