Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Low oil pressure, new engine.

Ok guys I just put in my new engine (thread here http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14831 )
And Fired it up for the first time today in 3 years and...

oilpressure.jpg

Theres a pic of it working. Shouldnt the oil guage be more centered??? Bad oil pressure sensor???

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I think anything other than pointing at the L mark is considered normal. The oil pressure sender is just a switch, not a sensor; meaning that it simply detects if the oil pressure is above or below some acceptable pressure. If it is above, the switch closes and gives the gauge a normal (non-low) reading. If the pressure falls below the acceptable value the switch will open and show a LOW reading on your gauge. There is nothing in-between. See the diagram below:

OilPressureAndEngineTempSensors.jpg

The only thing that I am not sure about, is that the notes indicate that when the oil switch opens it will give a LOW reading on the gauge-- but it doesn't indicate what exactly LOW means. Does that mean it's pinned on the low end of the gauge or does it just mean that the needle is justified more towards the left? My guess is the former-- it'd probably be pinned.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I have put an aux guage on my oil pressure and it is nice to have. Just remember that at idle you run about 20psi and cruising you run about 70psi. In town driving varies.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
never trust a factory guage, put in a mechanical one for a true reading.

Yeah Ill guess ill check out getting a guage for it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts