Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Looks like steam from exhaust pipe, what's up?

blacksnapon

Staff member
I would like to be able to con the powers to be that the only way to take care of the problem is to take it NORTH.
Just to remind you, I'm in Missouri.

d-kuzmen, thank you for the extended warranty info. Armed with this and the tech bulletin I downloaded concerning this problem, I should be able to have the problem fixed.

My only problem is they have only one superduty tech and he was on vacation this week and there are at least 3 other vehicles needing his attention in front of me.

It is about 15 miles highway and some city driving to get the vehicle to the dealer. Is it safe to drive it that far if I keep the radiator full of coolant? It is dripping coolant from the muffler and lots of white steam comeing from the tailpipe.

I don't want them to claim I have caused additional damage to the engine that is not covered.

blacksnapon

Staff member
It should be okay. Any damage that can be done will be at startup (coolant hydrolocking a cylinder). If you're worried, a tow truck is cheaper than a new engine.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
It is about 15 miles highway and some city driving to get the vehicle to the dealer. Is it safe to drive it that far if I keep the radiator full of coolant? It is dripping coolant from the muffler and lots of white steam comeing from the tailpipe.

I don't want them to claim I have caused additional damage to the engine that is not covered.

As long as it fires up, keep some water handy so you can check the level on your way, keep an eye on the temp gauge, but it should be fine.

Drove the ambulance to Ford last night. Had another member follow in pickup with extra coolant. Didn't need to add any and both temp gauges remained in the normal range.

Got a call from their service writer a few minutes ago and she told me that the vehicle need a EGR cooler and oil cooler replacement and the vehicle was out of the 5 yr/50,000 mile warranty. I told her she was mistaken and there was a class action suit settlement that extended the warranty to 72 months and 120,000 miles.

She said she had not heard anything about it and would need to research it and get back with me tonight.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Drove the ambulance to Ford last night. Had another member follow in pickup with extra coolant. Didn't need to add any and both temp gauges remained in the normal range.

Got a call from their service writer a few minutes ago and she told me that the vehicle need a EGR cooler and oil cooler replacement and the vehicle was out of the 5 yr/50,000 mile warranty. I told her she was mistaken and there was a class action suit settlement that extended the warranty to 72 months and 120,000 miles.

She said she had not heard anything about it and would need to research it and get back with me tonight.

Just tell her to pull an oasis and it'll be right there in black and white. When I ran your vin it came right up. They probably don't do enough ambulance work to know about it.

Just tell her to pull an oasis and it'll be right there in black and white. When I ran your vin it came right up. They probably don't do enough ambulance work to know about it.

Yes you are correct. There are 50+ Ford ambulances within 25 miles of their place, but most take them elsewhere to private shops or other dealers because of service. Roanoke dealers 55 miles away probably get the majority of the ambulances.

I pulled the oasis on the vehicle after reading your comments. We are a fleet account and have access to oasis. I hadn't used it enough.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Yes you are correct. There are 50+ Ford ambulances within 25 miles of their place, but most take them elsewhere to private shops or other dealers because of service. Roanoke dealers 55 miles away probably get the majority of the ambulances.

I pulled the oasis on the vehicle after reading your comments. We are a fleet account and have access to oasis. I hadn't used it enough.

I have ambulances that come from 100+ miles away to get worked on. Good luck let us know how you make out.

It's back from the shop.

Description of Service and Parts
Installed 4C3Z 9P456 AF : Cooler - EGR
Installed 3C3Z 6A642 CA : Kit
Installed 3C3Z 6C683 AB : Filter Asy
Installed FL 2016 : Kit - Element & Gasket - Oil F
Installed XO15W40BSD ; Diesel Oil
Installed VC 7 B : Anti-Freeze
Installed VC 9 : Cleaner - Oxidation Neutraliza

Coolant Low. Perform Coolant Leak Diag Per TSB09-08-03. Fail Vac on vehicle test. Remove EGR cooler and test off vehicle-Fail. Get Prior approval for EGR Cooler - Code PAA1X. Remove and replace EGR and Oil Cooler. Change oil and filter. Flush cooling system. Test drive.

13FOZD99P: Express Diesal Multi Point

Total Labor: $0.00 Parts: $0.00 Total: $0.00
$100.00 Deductible

Questions:
(1) Is the EGR and Oil coolers combined or separate units?
(2) Does it look like this is correct for this problem or did they leave out a proceedure?

blacksnapon

Staff member
The oil cooler is usually the culprit on egr cooler failures. The egr cooler gets its coolant flow from the oil cooler. If the oil cooler plugs in the coolant passages, the egr cooler will be failing shortly. The "cleaner" is engineered to break loose contaminates in the coolant passages, "discouraging" this from happening again.

Hey Vince, I'm getting ready to replace my coolant filter. Would I be wise to add the a fore mentioned coolant cleaner-oxidation neutralizer at that time? If so, is there some spec on that solution that I can look for?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Hey Vince, I'm getting ready to replace my coolant filter. Would I be wise to add the a fore mentioned coolant cleaner-oxidation neutralizer at that time? If so, is there some spec on that solution that I can look for?
I'm not sure on the spec. I think before I used it, I'd bypass your filter, then run the solution, drain, then re-install the filter and new coolant.

O %$#&^?@%&, Here we go again.

Placed the ambulance back in service to run it and see if FORD knew what they were doing. This morning while returning from the hospital it blew something, top speed 15mph with smoke out of exaust. The turbo sounds like crap, looked under the hood and a very large hose comeing from the engine separated where a clamp holds the hose to the metal gooseneck. Oil all over underside of hood. Glade we didn't have patient on board.

Called the dealer and they never called me back. Had local wrecker operator, place on large rollback and carry back to dealer. Still nothing from dealer. Ambulance sitting in their lot.

DON'T WANT IT BACK UNTIL THEY FIX IT CORRECTLY.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts