Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

looking for new job

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
ASE certified techs are hard to come by out here- dealerships are all actively searching/recruiting them. Might be worth hanging on and getting it. Like with all things in life, timing is everything.

I know nothing about the "mobile mechanic side". I just wanted to comment on the compressor. I have a gas (5 HP briggs) compressor I bought used in 1988. I throw it in the bed of a truck, strap it down, throw in a gas can and some oil, and away we go.

It has been used for everything from stripping a vehicle (in a salvage yard), to stripping one in a guys driveway, to painting a house, to rebuilding automatic transmissions at peoples (friends and families) homes.

We would get one side of the house done and drive around to the other side. Just left the compressor strapped down in the truck. It is awesome to use air tools wherever you happen to be.

hmm yeah i actually think this might work out. something like AAA roadside assistance kinda.

I thought about doing something like this once, so I have thought this through a couple times, plus I know a few people that do this.

One good way to get customers is to find small used car dealerships that get most of their rigs at auctions, that are to cheap to go to the dealer and spend $85 per hour and have a hard time finding reliable mechanics. The way it works: They get a car from the auction, but it don't run, runs like crap, leaks oil, tranny slips or whatever - they call you up and you go to them. They bring you regular work so they get decent pricing, like $40 an hour plus parts. Find as many places like this as you can. Drive around with business cards, look profesional and sooner or later someone will "try you out". If you pass the test, they will likely call you again. Pass a few tests from a few places, and you will start to get busy. $40 per hour 8-10 hours per day with as little "company costs" as you will have isn't bad. You can also run adds for mobile work for side jobs - they pay a higher rate though.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
(a year or 2)

Just remember this, it takes on average 1 year to get a business up and running, thats if it even makes it through the first year successfully, buddy of mine started up a curbing business last year and while doing his taxes he figured he spent 30k when it was all said and done, however this year he's already making profit as he made a good name for himself.....

Good luck with this venture, wherever it may lead...smiliegitrdone

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
i did find a contract one where they send you out to iraq for a year for like $110,000 and fix the military vehicles and/or retrieve them. but you need 3 years experience!!!............

If you have a sense of adventure, I'd apply for that one. I'd be willing to bet that you don't really NEED three years of experience, thats just what they'd like to have. And pulling something like that would look good on a resume when you got done with it.

Gunner

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Good luck either way . Around here Allot of people call tow truck to fix flats battery swap small stuff. He drive a F150 with compressor to do it . No over head.
But having been in business myself . If you wait and get your certification . Later on it will be allot easier on you . Good luck

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts