Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

long beds harder to find than shortbeds?

Personaly I like the long beds better. They seem to ride better and pull a trailer more comfortably. All but one truck I ever had have been long beds. As for 4X4 I would rather have to long bed there also, more forgiving in the mud and at speed on the soupy junk. They are easier to make hook at the dragstrip as well. All that said I have a 76 shortbed out here that is waiting on me to decide wether I am going to race it or make it a real nice city truck. :)

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Depends on the overall length of the truck for me. If it's a standard cab, it better have a long bed on it. If it's extended cab, just put a short one on it. Nobody wants a truck so long it's a pain to handle. Also a short with a standard cab looks wimpy wimpy and just kinda scrawny to me, but it comes down to what you want it to do and what looks you like.

Ryan

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I guess it really doesn't matter to me, if it's good looking I can appreciate it. That said, this is my take, reg cab/short bed...looks real sporty, I like. reg cab/long bed...looks mean, I like. Super cab/short bed...doesn't look proportionate...not my cup of tea. Super cab/long bed...looks reeeeal mean. Crew cab/short bed...reminds of the short bus, I don't like. Crew cab/long bed...just screams tough, I like.

Well I guess a lot does depend on location. And individual preference. All I can tell you is that around here, you see a long bed- and it's generally beat up and/or carrying a bunch of stuff (or people...or animals) in the bed -i.e. it's being used for trucky stuff.

That's probably due to what I said earlier...more cargo room, which usually lends its self to being more conducive to serious work.

The short beds I see on the road are usually much prettier, and, judging by generally higher sales prices, much more in demand as restoration/modification projects.

Make of that what you will.

I don't think it makes it more in demand for restores and whatnot...I think it's because short beds are far more rare (loosely used) than a long bed. Thusly, less of them around so they can take more of premium. Look at what a cherry 8' bed will run you...anywhere from $3-800...now look at a cherry short bed...you'll be lucky to start finding useable ones in the $800 range. There just aren't that many.

I guess it really doesn't matter to me, if it's good looking I can appreciate it. That said, this is my take, reg cab/short bed...looks real sporty, I like. reg cab/long bed...looks mean, I like. Super cab/short bed...doesn't look proportionate...not my cup of tea. Super cab/long bed...looks reeeeal mean. Crew cab/short bed...reminds of the short bus, I don't like. Crew cab/long bed...just screams tough, I like.

Yup that pretty well sums it up right theresmiliegitrdone There is a long bed supercab just a few blocks from me. The guy only wants $350 for it but it has been hit right behind the front tire on the passenger side. Cowl is pushed in rith at the top hinge of the door. If I had a place to work on it I'd get it has the Explorer package and is a 76 just like my swb and lwb reg cab that I have now.smiliepeelout

Seems like here in the good ol salt belt of the midwest, either one is hard to find in decent shape. Overall, there are more long beds in the midwest primarily because of agriculture / farming i'm guessing. None of my dad's neighbors ever had short boxes on the farm (at least in the 70's / 80''s).
Here is a hard one to find: short box with dual fuel tank doors. Geez, i paid an arm and a leg for a short box with ONE door a few years ago and it needed a lot of work.

We got alot of farms around here also thats were i got my truck from but mine wasnt all beat up just crappy paint job. I like the shortbeds but i think the longbeds are gonna be catching up really quick in value depending on how many of those farms actually junk there old longbed dentsides. Around here though theres alot of long bed pickups i was talking on ebay and stuff all you see is shortbeds.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Stealing railroad ties again Steve? I thought you got over that. At least next time take the tracks too...that way you can scrap them and make some money.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Stealing railroad ties again Steve? I thought you got over that. At least next time take the tracks too...that way you can scrap them and make some money.

Oh yea--I just took the rails to the scrap yard on the way home! It helped cover the fines I had to pay after that freight train took a dirt road!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts