Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Locks and Ignition

Michigan
Anyone know where i can get a whole kit that includes the door lock cylinder and ignition with the same key? Ive already checked bronco grave yard and they only have the door cylinders..

My PS door doesnt unlock from the outside and some times my drivers side door will let me in but most of the time i have to fight with it and call it a nasty name before it decides to open..

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
If I'm reading this right...your ignition switch works fine, but neither door works right, and you want to end up with both doors and the ignition to all work on the same key?

Might do well to talk to a local locksmith about setting up new door cylinders to match your ignition (assuming you've tried lubing said door cylinders already). Dad had to get a new ignition lock cylinder put in a car one time (couldn't start it) and a local locksmith set up one to work with his existing key for a very reasonable price.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
The ford dealer has all the parts you need. The ignition and door locks will come with all the pins to rekey the locksets to your key.
Not hard to do at all. It's harder getting the old locksets out than rekeying them.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Uhave power locks ? If you unhook the actuators I bet the key will work
Also had problems with linkages in past .

Unhook the linkage at key on door and try if turns save $ and find what else it could be

Good luck guy

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
if this is for the 97 super duty, then all you need is the door cylinders. the cylinders come as a kit that you put together so one key fits all. the only thing, the face of the door cylinder (where you put your key in) has a special tool to crimp the face to the cylinder. it can be done without but you risk scarring up the face. the dealer should have the crimper. door cylinders around here run about 50 bucks

The ford dealer has all the parts you need. The ignition and door locks will come with all the pins to rekey the locksets to your key.
Not hard to do at all. It's harder getting the old locksets out than rekeying them.

Its easy yes, but if you get an aftermarket ignition its harder.. 2 less tumblers in an aftermarket ignition cyl..

8 cuts on the key, door uses 6 ignition uses 6 and the door and ignition share 1 or 2 commor tumblers

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Or you could do the redneck thing and cut the other side of the original key to match the new key. 1 side up fits the ignition, 1 side up fits the door lock.

Or you could do the redneck thing and cut the other side of the original key to match the new key. 1 side up fits the ignition, 1 side up fits the door lock.

Not the way these locks work,pretty sure anyways, there waffer tumblers, the key actually goes through the tumbler

Michigan
If i remember right there is a simple way just to push the locking rod out of the lock itself and you pull up on a metal clip. Then it slides out from the outside. I want it to be an easy swap and do not want to have to guess which key might lock my doors and what one starts it.

Thanks black 150, i was acually looking at a NPD parts book i had under my bed just a couple minutes ago and saw it.

Ford Truck Articles