Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

locker? need info please....

jbashaw

daddy bashaw
so we had some snow and i noticed even with weight in the bed (about 500lbs) it helped a lot but i figure i need a locker.... i have the 10.25 rearend with 3.55 gears and one tire only spins.... how much is a locker? do they lock up in forward and reverse? and how hard is it to do? I've shimmed the gears in one before. but no experience with a locker.... i pull a trailer sometimes and backing them up isn't always easy cause on certain terrain only one wheel spins... i know a locker will help just need info on where to get one and how much one cost?

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
Detroit True Trac best money i ever spent

chek if they are available for ur diff

400-+ dollars
easy instal

chek youtube to see how they work

no noise no nothing

i can crawl in soft white sand with my 2wd without getting stuck with them

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Locker in the rear will make your winter driving worse. Instead of one tire breaking loose they both will. My old '93 F-150 was down right scary on slick roads in 2wd as I had a Trac Lok out of an Explorer in it. I ended up in 4wd most of the time when slick.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
Locker in the rear will make your winter driving worse. Instead of one tire breaking loose they both will. My old '93 F-150 was down right scary on slick roads in 2wd as I had a Trac Lok out of an Explorer in it. I ended up in 4wd most of the time when slick.

not with a true trac :)

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
Differentials - Limited Slip (torque - sensitive) Type

TrueTrac differentials require a certain amount of resistance at the ground (i.e. traction) in order to start the torque transfer. A TrueTrac differential may not transfer torque if the spinning wheel is off the ground or on a very slippery surface. If spinning occurs, often a slight application of the brakes, while carefully applying power, will slow the spinning wheel enough to allow the TrueTrac differential to transfer torque to the other wheel.
In low traction situations, like snow and ice, I find the TrueTrac works very good.
Unlike automatic lockers, which require a speed difference between the axles to lock up, the TrueTrac begins to transfer torque before any wheel slip occurs.
In turns, a limited slip diff biases torque to both wheels, with a bias towards the slower turning inner wheel. An automatic locker puts all the torque on the inside wheel in a turn, as the outer wheel automatically unlocks. An open diff transfers torque equally, but combined with the extra steering load on the outer wheel, it may become overloaded and cause a push or understeer.
A similar product on the market is the Torsen Differential which is the model used in the Hummer.
On the Toyota 8" front axle, if you are or intend to make use of the "Marfield" axle or the "Marlin-tack" c-clip eliminator, be advised that the TrueTrac diff is approx. 3/8" narrower on each side than a stock carrier. As such, instead of setting the tack-weld at 1-1/2" from the end of the axle, you should set it a 1-1/8" from the end. If this is not set here, the axle can slip into the differential spline far enough to cause the oil seal in the axle tube to miss the sealing surface on the axle shaft. In any event, check that the axle shaft can not slide into the axle tube too far. If you use the stock c-clip inside the Birfield joint, you do not need to worry about this.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/TrueTrac.shtml#TrueTrac

jbashaw

daddy bashaw
almost sounds cheaper to put a used limited slip? like a stock from a newer model.... that sounds pretty expensive and you can probably get a whole used one for cheaper.... cause i don't even think mine is limited slip

I got my Ford Traction-Lok for my 8.8 rear axle from the guys at Broken Gears in Wichita, KS for a low price of $125. I put new carbon fiber clutch plates in it and I just love it. Broken Gears can be reached at (316) 209-9205.

I use the Powertrax No Slip and love it. It does let you know real quick when it breaks loose on ice though. You just have to remember its back there. Much better than not having one at all. I got tired of spinning one wheel in the snow.

Ford Truck Articles