Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Lincoln alternator

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^It's beyond Labor Day, the pastels were put away and now it's just time for primary colors...maybe next spring Doug.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Removal and Installation

NOTE: The radial arm adapter is a serviceable item. Do not replace the generator if the radial arm adapter is the only concern.

Remove the A/C compressor. For additional information, refer to Section 412-01.
Disconnect the battery. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01.
Position the generator protective cover aside, remove the nut and position the generator B+ terminal aside.
To install, tighten to 12 Nm (106 lb-in).
Disconnect the generator electrical connector.
Detach the pin-type retainer and wiring harness.
Remove the oil filter.
Lubricate the oil filter seal with clean engine oil before installation.
Position the engine wiring harness aside.
Remove the generator stud nut.
To install, tighten to 47 Nm (35 lb-ft).
Remove the generator bolt and the generator.
To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Alright Vince...took a better look at it today...this does not look like something I want to do. Any shade tree tips to make it easier, or a labor guesstimate from the dealership??? Or is this something I could double check my warranty terms on???

blacksnapon

Staff member
warranty 1.8 cash pay 2.3.....it aint easy (pretty tight in there)

Conversion Calculator

2008 Lincoln MKZ FWD V6-3.5L
Vehicle Level Starting and Charging Charging System Alternator Parts Information

Parts Information

Part OEM Part Price
Alternator
1 - Alternator 7T4Z10346A $316.35

Labor Skill
Level Mfg.
Warranty Standard
Alternator
Replace B 1.8 2.3
Does Not Include: Refrigerant Recovery Or Evacuate & Recharge AC System. Includes: AC Compressor R&I.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Haha.. Looks like your better off taking to dealership as it involves freon removal and recharge

Smokin' Tires with my 5.0 on Tapatalk

That's the part that made me say nuh-uh. Thanks Vince...is there a book time on that??? I figure $100/hr.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
$100 is a good starting place. Depending on area, can be more or less.

Again...thanks you sir. I just called the place I bought the car from...I was curious about my warranty. I knew I had extended the service plan. Turns out I was a genius and did extend the bumper to bumper to 85k...guess what I just rolled...90k. But I also went to 125k (or Aug 2015) on powertrain...but that doesn't cover electronics:headbang:

Their service department said $360 in labor...purse strings are crying a little harder now.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Didn't that car have like 30k on it when you bought it? You rack up some miles...

Looking at my paperwork right now...says I bought it August 30, 2011 with 26,407 on the odo. As of Friday when I parked it there were 90,540 on the odo. Figure I've had it for 25 months, for 22 of those months, I was commuting 100mi/day...that was 44k alone. Throw in a dozen OBX trips, a Key West trip, a couple Jacksonville/Orlando trips and a Wisconsin trip...plus normal around town driving...and that should put me where the odo says I am.

Fellro

Staff member
I run about the same miles you do... I have only a little over one year doing it though.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well ladies and gents...the Lincoln is back and done. I'm extremely extremely extremely pleased. 1) There's no way I could have done that in driveway. 2) Even taking it to a dealership, it was the cheapest option.

Customer service was great, wish I woulda started dealing with this dealership a long time ago. Every dealership I called was somewhere between $100-150/hr...this place was $96.50. Independent shops were anywhere from $80-120. Independent shops also all told me they'd charge by the hour until it was done and they'd charge for refrigerant. The dealership charged me book time (3 hrs per them), even though I KNOW they worked a full 4 on it yesterday and 2 this morning.

All said and done...dealership labor cost was $308. I have $349 in the alternator and I'll get $80 back for the core.

The only thing that slightly irked me was the battery was bad on Friday, wouldn't take charge, it was shot as well...but was under warranty. They replaced it, but replaced my 620ishCCA MC battery with a 500cca MC battery. I figure I'll take that though, because I'm sure the alt caused the battery failure which I'm not sure woulda been covered.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
The dealer installed someone else's alternator? That wouldn't happen in this part of the country, even if it was a motorcraft!

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
500cca is the factory recommendation. Although they should have replaced it with a match from the old one.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The dealer installed someone else's alternator? That wouldn't happen in this part of the country, even if it was a motorcraft!

Same here,,,They'd laugh at you

Most places did...only thing they said though was that they'd only warranty they're work for 30 days, apparently not their typical policy, and if the alternator were to go out again within it's warranty time frame I'd have to file a labor claim with Motorcraft if I didn't want to have to pay for the work again.

500cca is the factory recommendation. Although they should have replaced it with a match from the old one.

Yeah I know that...but still...

Ford Truck Articles