Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

lifting blocks

Anyone here ever use blocks on the front to level out the front end?

I just want to get about another 2" on the front to level everything out. Plus it will help with some rubbing I'm getting in the very inward most steering postion.

My question is if blocks are a bad idea? Or would buying the add a leaf be better? I really don't want it any stiffer in the front.

Blocks on a front axle are very dangerous - even 2".

Much, much safer to raise it with the springs.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Blocks on a front axle are very dangerous - even 2".

Much, much safer to raise it with the springs.

x2...never never never use lift blocks up front. Depending on the age of your springs, they could just be sagging, in wich case all you need are new stock springs, which are fairly cheap and could possibly help you gain at least 1" of what you want. On the other hand, you may need a slight lift up front, and the better the quality of springs you get, the better the ride quality.

Alright then, I'll just look at springs. They don't seem worn out. I think they've been replaced once before. Any suggestions.

I replaced the tierod ends today, and that has gotten rid of alot of the rubbing. They were really bad.

No. I don't have that. Just got 35's on a stock suspension. That'll leave a mark.!!!

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Ive got 37"s on stock suspension....
But i know my front springs are wore out, its on the to do list. That list is getting longer...
I really need to write it all down so i dont forget any of it.

I see that in your sig now. 37's, awesome. I put rub blocks on the springs cause it was so bad. How bout you? I limited out the knuckles today to. Shortened the turning radius but now it won't rub.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I'd get an add-a-leaf or two, if it were me ;) Do you currently have the stock "raked" stance? (front lower than rear). If so, putting on about 1.5"-2" will probably level the truck out.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'd get an add-a-leaf or two, if it were me ;) Do you currently have the stock "raked" stance? (front lower than rear). If so, putting on about 1.5"-2" will probably level the truck out.

I think that's what he was getting at...he wanted to eliminate the rake. He also said he wanted to maintain his ride quality...that's why I suggested the new springs, AAL's usually stiffen up the ride.

Airway...keep in mind, maxing out clearances may be a good temporary fix, but it'll come back to bite you because it'll cause undo wear/pressure. If I were you, I'd just bite the bullet and pick up a 3" lift from SkyJacker.

Yeah, it's the stock stance. Prob gonna do the add a leaf thing. Just seeing if something less expensive would work. Cheap doesn't equal good though. I should know better LOL :O

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah, it's the stock stance. Prob gonna do the add a leaf thing. Just seeing if something less expensive would work. Cheap doesn't equal good though. I should know better LOL :O

Well if I knew AAL's were an option, I woulda advised that...haha. But you had said you wanted to maintain your ride quality, AAL's typically roughen up the ride. As far as expense, you really can't get much cheaper than AAL's...about $100 a piece on my last check. But then, that will definitely give you the lift and stance you want and are by far the cheapest 'proper' alternative.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I see that in your sig now. 37's, awesome. I put rub blocks on the springs cause it was so bad. How bout you? I limited out the knuckles today to. Shortened the turning radius but now it won't rub.

Nope no rubbing for me anywhere only when i stuff the tires then they rub the fenders....

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
dont they make a coil spring spacer for the front? is that just a bad idea as well

Yes they do...I still wouldn't use coil spacers if it were me, but still better than blocks up front. To me they're as bad as a BL. But this isn't applicable in this situation...I'm assuming the OP has leaves because he's talking about using AAL's and blocks.

Yeah I have leaf springs. Thinking about taking some stuff off of a truck I found at the U-pull. Some leafs and a steering damper.YelloThumbUp

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
My truck sags a bit up front too my 35s rub on little bumps when I turn it and go over a gutter. I also came to this conclusion cause it keeps pullin the shocks through the mounts from over extension when I go four wheein.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts