Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Lift springs

As some of you know, im working on the blue truck. The green one in my sig is the parts truck, with a lift. The front lift components look good, but i need to do something about the rear. All the PO did was stack factory blocks. That aint gunna cut it. I was wondering if anyone knew of a company (or if someone has some) that makes lift springs that are heavy duty. All i can find are the soft ride stuff. I still wanna be able to hook onto a semi-heavy load and not squat to the stops. Anybody got an idea?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
As some of you know, im working on the blue truck. The green one in my sig is the parts truck, with a lift. The front lift components look good, but i need to do something about the rear. All the PO did was stack factory blocks. That aint gunna cut it. I was wondering if anyone knew of a company (or if someone has some) that makes lift springs that are heavy duty. All i can find are the soft ride stuff. I still wanna be able to hook onto a semi-heavy load and not squat to the stops. Anybody got an idea?

In your situation I'd say get some new stock height springs and get them arched to whatever height you want and have whatever shop is doing the arching toss some extra leaves into the packs for extra load handling. Depending on how much lift you want you might even get by with new springs and add-a-leaves..............or just get a set of lifted height springs and add some air bags to add load capacity when needed and it'll ride nice w/o a load in the back.........or there are places that will build you all new springs to your specs, Atlas, National Spring, etc.

JBG:

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/c-469

Or you could do a shackle flip...lots of folks say the flip reduces towing capabilities...but I believe Ed from eff tee eff debunked that myth.
I looked at the ones on JBG first, but the springs i want, the 5 1/2 lift springs, look and are described as a soft ride style. i dont care so much about ride as much as i do strengh
In your situation I'd say get some new stock height springs and get them arched to whatever height you want and have whatever shop is doing the arching toss some extra leaves into the packs for extra load handling. Depending on how much lift you want you might even get by with new springs and add-a-leaves..............or just get a set of lifted height springs and add some air bags to add load capacity when needed and it'll ride nice w/o a load in the back.........or there are places that will build you all new springs to your specs, Atlas, National Spring, etc.

I know of a place about an hour south from here that will custom build me whatever i want, but ive heard they are a little spendy. I thought about modifieing my current ones on the blue one, since they are like new, but no one around here does that that i know of. And as far as airbags, i thought i heard that they kinda reduce the amount of flex, even when not aired up

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Chris...I really think a shackle flip in the rear and AAL would be fine...then match the coils. But if you feel that would reduce towing capailities, I'd go custom built springs which are a little more spendy than an off the shelf lift...but really not too bad, I've noticed them to be only about 15-20% more expensive.

Last edited:
Well just how much wieght are ya plannin to haul?

Idk. It varies, and since the truck is lifted, not as much, but i would like to be able to hook onto a 5000# trailer and not completely squat out

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Well bein a half ton itll squat quite a bit anyways with that kind of wieght on it. Nothin real bad about squattin just as long as ya got enough wieght on the front end to turn.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
You could get a set of overload springs and stops from a 250/350 and rig them up to work.

I did some measuring, and i think im gunna just get some really stiff add-a-leafs, and use the factory blocks. It should be enough for now, then when i get enough money ill get the lift i want, which is a 6". Right now its more like 4"

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts