Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Let's talk transmission coolers.

I'm looking at getting a transmission cooler for the truck and am wanting to know what people are running. I'm just looking for the cooler kits, not any that are associated with the transmission pan like Skan has (that's for later on.) Also which would be better, plate type or tube and fin type?

93 F150 E4OD 2WD

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I didn't measure it but it's about the same width as that B&M, maybe 2 inches shorter in height, and actually a little bit deeper than my B&M. So if I were to guess I'd say Height x Width x Thickness = 8" x 11" x 2" for the old cooler.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Im running a tranny cooler off a 6.0 powerstroke in the Cherokee but im sure that doesnt help

The 12 gallon aluminum drag racing radiator in the F150 has a built in tranny cooler that i plumbed to the rest of the rad since i dont have an auto

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
My super cooler radiator also has the built in trans cooler-- I think all trucks with auto's have it. I'm running my aux cooler in tandem with the rad cooler.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Whats the coolant capacity of your rad chris?

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
lol you gotta step it up man!!!!
thats not even half of mine!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
This is the BIGGER radiator that Ford offered from the factory, if I'm not mistaken...

How the heck can you fit a 12 gallon radiator?! That thing would be HUGE. Can't be much wider or taller than mine... So you're saying it's 3 times as thick?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
How do you have the tranny fluid lines routed? I am assuming you should go through the rad cooler before routing it to the aux cooler?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Chris, do you still have that vented transmission oil pan? Or was that an engine oil pan..? I coulda swore it was for your transmission.

Ryan

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Chris, do you still have that vented transmission oil pan? Or was that an engine oil pan..? I coulda swore it was for your transmission.

Ryan
Yeah-- Derale transmission pan:

http://www.derale.com/pans.html

Couldn't tell you if it helped or not because I installed it before I installed the trans temp gauge 'smiliedoh' Whether or not the vents do much, it DOES add 3+ quarts in fluid capacity which does help.

Ford Truck Articles