Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Let's talk exhaust...

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
UPDATE!!!!!!!! I chopped off the muffler today. Straight pipe out in front of the rear passenger wheel.

Pics and a video would be in this area, but it's raining.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Really loud, huh?

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Really loud might be an understatement! It has the growl I wanted, though.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Shoot I have some short gpacks...but I don't think I could handle straight pipes before the rear tire. BTW...be a man, brave the rain and take a video.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Shoot I have some short gpacks...but I don't think I could handle straight pipes before the rear tire. BTW...be a man, brave the rain and take a video.

Hmmm. Glasspacks. :D

I'm searching for the camera as I type.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Okay, let's give this a try. I didn't rev it too much; it's a school night round these parts.

View My Video - There's a fair bit of the video showing off my wonderful legs. :D

2rncsxi.jpg

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Sounds like a giant exhaust leak. I had straight pipes before my wheels for one day.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Sounds like a giant exhaust leak. I had straight pipes before my wheels for one day.

I've got some fine-tuning to do. But the camera recording quality sucks. I'll fly ya down here to hear it. :D

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
LOL I'm willing to bet after you drive it around for awhile it'll drive you nuts. If you couldn't rev it because it's a school night I think you already know it's too loud :D

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
LOL I'm willing to bet after you drive it around for awhile it'll drive you nuts. If you couldn't rev it because it's a school night I think you already know it's too loud :D

I'm with Sean. Sure it's a good dick enhancer to go around straight piped. The preppy boys think you're a wild man and the girls think you're a bad boy. So once the ego stroking is over, throw something on there that will give it good tone. You appear to like glasspacks...they're cheap enough go buy an assortment of them and see what you like best. My local distributor has anywhere from $10 cheapies to $40 name brand gp's...ranging in length from 8" to 48" and 2" diameter to 5" diameter. I personally prefer to live in the 8"-18" and 3-4" diameter realm...plenty of ego stroking while still being loud and sounding good.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Wow glasspacks for $10. I wish it was like that around here. I paid $25 a piece but if I could pay $10 I would have bought a few sizes to try. Mine are 25in. long I think. I like them though. Nice and quiet until you get on it. I used to have loud mufflers and the first long drive I took my ears hurt after driving for an hour. Now I can drive all day long without any issue. If you are still up for loud I would go with the 8in. like Ben has. Like I said before I had straight pipes for one night because I didn't have enough time to finish up my exhaust and I literally had to feather the throttle to drive home because it sounded terrible and I didn't want a ticket for noise. Since you haven't posted pics of the truck with a muffler on it yet I'll give you about a week before you get tired of it. If you keep it straight piped longer than that I give you credit for being able to put up with the noise. But when you are older don't be surprised if people are saying "you couldn't hear the sound of a dump truck driving through a nitroglycerine plant" :rofl2:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah...Darrel has a wide variety of gp's. Given the $10 ones look like a retarded monkey threw them together and it comes prepackaged with burn marks, but they're cheap and will keep you legal. I wouldn't buy them, but they are there. I prefer to let him price match summit/jegs prices and not have me pay for shipping.

WHATEVER you want it to sound like, GET IT OUT FROM UNDER THE TRUCK! The heat and monoxide are doing NO GOOD for your Bushings, Wiring and componentry underneath your truck! Plus, if you're really in a mood to take a hit off it, you don't have to wait for it to waft out from under the bed of the TRUCK!
Seriously- from someone who's been there- Save the brain cells!

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Well, chit. It was cool for the first day. Not so much now.

To the muffler store!

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
WHATEVER you want it to sound like, GET IT OUT FROM UNDER THE TRUCK! The heat and monoxide are doing NO GOOD for your Bushings, Wiring and componentry underneath your truck! Plus, if you're really in a mood to take a hit off it, you don't have to wait for it to waft out from under the bed of the TRUCK!
Seriously- from someone who's been there- Save the brain cells!

Agreed...I found out the hard way when the old 351M was on it's way out in the Bronco that CO is no laughing matter. On a trip home, about 2 hours in to it, I started feeling light headed and faint and clammy...I knew exactly what it was, so I pulled off at the rest stop got some good oxygen and drove home extremely carefully with all the windows down for 3 hours.

Well, chit. It was cool for the first day. Not so much now.

To the muffler store!

JEGS or Summit would be my suggestion, unless you're willing to take something off the shelf. Been my experience you'll usually have to wait a couple days for a muffler to come in if they don't have it and it'll be more expensive and you could even get charged a stocking fee...unless you find a place that will price match.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
There is a local shop that stocks every muffler known to man, but they often carry a hefty price tag. I may just buy online.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
There is a local shop that stocks every muffler known to man, but they often carry a hefty price tag. I may just buy online.

So they're getting you on the front end...same charges, just in the initial price. Not to mention all that inventory and overhead isn't cheap.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts