Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Let's talk exhaust...

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Here is what's going on: I have a wonderfully stock 351m. The exhaust is lacking... A LOT! So, do I go with a glasspack, or go for a different style muffler, or run a muffler-less system? (No regulations on exhaust or emissions here, so I have free reign.)

Muffelerless I think obnoxious and the flowmaster muffelers I do not think were availble back in the day. So glass packs would be more of a period choice.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Personally, I think I'd muffle it with gpacks or a muffler. Making all that noise with straight pipes and not being able to back it up is embarassing. Personally, I prefer glasspacks...you can get them as loud as you want them or as quiet as you want them. Just remember, the shorter the length and bigger the diameter of the tube, the louder it's going to be. If you go mufflers, I'd consider Cherry Bomb, Magnaflow or Hooker.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Well, I'm all for a muffler, but it kinda sacrafices sounds. And with glasspacks, I don't care for the crackle too much...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
If you don't like the crackle with gpacks, how on earth would you have been able to stand straight pipes? Personally, I prefer gpacks, I don't think anything sounds meaner.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
If you want a decent aggressive sound but not a hit to the wallet, Thrush turbo mufflers aren't too bad. Gpacks do have a nice older muscle style sound. And I would not go straight pipe either.

Personally, I think I'd muffle it with gpacks or a muffler. Making all that noise with straight pipes and not being able to back it up is embarassing. Personally, I prefer glasspacks...you can get them as loud as you want them or as quiet as you want them. Just remember, the shorter the length and bigger the diameter of the tube, the louder it's going to be. If you go mufflers, I'd consider Cherry Bomb, Magnaflow or Hooker.

Arn't Cherry Bombs Gpacks?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Cackle is all i can really think for the noise, like a popping rumble noise when you let of the gas, say your at 3k rmps and coast down to idle, some where in there you usually get a "cackle" atleast you do if your gp's are broke in.

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
I was just kidding. In all seriousness though, I have heard what you describe on trucks before, but never from Burt, and his Blue Streaks are about 9 years old and broken in. They are 44" long. I posted a video on here somewhere of them.

Most GPs I've seen are much shorter and perhaps that is why they make that "cackle" noise? Don't know....
Dak

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Straight pipes are horrible. I drove home from work one night with straight pipes because I didn't have time to finish up my exhaust. It was horrible. I have 2 25" long glasspacks and I love it. If you don't like glasspacks I would recommend the Vortex mufflers. I think they sound great. For me I plan on sticking with glasspacks for a long time.

I don't have video or audio to let you hear it but this is what I have. 2.25 head pipes to just under the cab, 12 in glasspacks, then 3.5 pipes 3 feet long welded to the body of the gpacks. They do have a crakle but it is more of a deeper almost rumble. Have been stopped once by a local cop who is also a car nut just to see what I had. They sound awsome not just pure loud but the actual sound is nice, especialy when you consider I bought the whole set up for less than the cost of one Flowmaster.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I was just kidding. In all seriousness though, I have heard what you describe on trucks before, but never from Burt, and his Blue Streaks are about 9 years old and broken in. They are 44" long. I posted a video on here somewhere of them.

Most GPs I've seen are much shorter and perhaps that is why they make that "cackle" noise? Don't know....
Dak

Likely due to how long the gp's are, the shorter they are the more popping and cackling they create.

I would go with Flowmaster. You can get a deep aggressive sound without the popping or crackling sounds that you are talking about. Go to their site and you can hear the different models.
Me personally, hell no, but to each his own
Straight pipes are horrible. I drove home from work one night with straight pipes because I didn't have time to finish up my exhaust. It was horrible. I have 2 25" long glasspacks and I love it. If you don't like glasspacks I would recommend the Vortex mufflers. I think they sound great. For me I plan on sticking with glasspacks for a long time.

I love my truck straight piped.
I also love open headers, but that makes thing difficult tryin to have a conversation while driving, especially at highway speeds.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Dak

I would attribute the lack of cackle to the length of your gp's. However, I think the 'cackle' being discussed sounds like your exhaust when you do manual down shift.

I would go with Flowmaster. You can get a deep aggressive sound without the popping or crackling sounds that you are talking about. Go to their site and you can hear the different models.

At one time I would have a agreed with you. But now Blowmasters are so over done, if you wanna sound like every other high school kid, then yeah they're for you. Not only that, Blowmaster's quality has dramatically dropped over the last 10 or so years. Not to mention, they rape you over the coals in price.

I don't have video or audio to let you hear it but this is what I have. 2.25 head pipes to just under the cab, 12 in glasspacks, then 3.5 pipes 3 feet long welded to the body of the gpacks. They do have a crakle but it is more of a deeper almost rumble. Have been stopped once by a local cop who is also a car nut just to see what I had. They sound awsome not just pure loud but the actual sound is nice, especialy when you consider I bought the whole set up for less than the cost of one Flowmaster.

I would looooove to hear a sound clip of that. I think the entire set up has more to do with 'cackle' than just a gpack itself. Because like you, I have barely, if any cackle...unless I'm coming down from around 5k.

I love my truck straight piped.
I also love open headers, but that makes thing difficult tryin to have a conversation while driving, especially at highway speeds.

Why do you want anyone talking in your truck????????? But maybe that's the anti-social azzhole coming out in me.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I talk all the damn time ben.
:)

But when you cant hold a conversation, it usually "invites" the fairer sex to sit in the middle so we can talk easier...

;)

The cops on the other hand, pull you over for "excessive speed" but let you go cause you asked how fast you were going....

It has its up's and downs...

But the reverbs in cab can be obnoxious...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts