Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Leaking Carb

78F250

New Jersey Chapter member
I mentioned buying a carb for my truck in another post. I put it on and it works fine. the problem is that it leaks at the throttle arm just behind the spring. I'm not too familiar with the inner workings of carbs. How can I fix this to stop the drip-drip-drip onto the intake?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Not too sure exactly what you're saying is dripping. But usually if something is leaking on a carb it's a bad seal, blown gasket. Is this a new carb? Have a pic of said leak?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
If you have the part number (should be on the choke tower) you can post that too. Also, if you have that, you can hop on the Holley website, find your carb and pin point exactly what it is that's leaking from the diagram. Then if you/we know exactly what's leaking, it should help in diagnosing the problem and fixing it properly.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
If it is the throttle shaft itself, it is possible that the the hole has been rounded out enough that the shaft won't seal. Been there done that on a new "rebuilt" carburetor.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Is it the throttle shaft or the base of the carburetor? It is hard to tell exactly where you're pointing. Did you install a new base gasket with said new carburetor?

a rebuilt carb should have new throttle shaft bushings in it.

it's usually the main reason for needing to be rebuilt

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'm going to be hopefull that maybe the gaskets were a touch dry and now that they are moist that it sealed up.

I think you're a liar and it never leaked...haha. How old is that carb and where did you get it from? If you got it as a rebuild from Holley, you usually have 90 days no questions asked return. But we'll just hope it doesn't happen again.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts