Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Leaf Spring Dilema

grnlzrd

Professional Lurker
Ohio
I finally found set of 2wd leafs for my f100. A guy about an hour from me was parting another f100 (verified by vin), $50 and they are mine now. It appears at some point, f150 springs or possibly an add-a-leaf was added, because they have five instead of four in the pack, and non-oe looking clamps. But every leaf has the same taper and shape, and the pin looks original too. I'd really like the added capacity of more springs, but don't want an increase in ride height. I'm thinking a drop shackle might give me what I want. Any opinions? Also, how many leaves should be in the clamps? Just a couple, or all except overload?

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
The only way to know how the truck will sit is to install them. If it's too high then try removing a leaf and seeing what that does, or put the drop shackles in.

As to how many leaves, I have no idea, the only trucks of this era that I have wrenched on are 4x4's.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Is it possible that they had different springs?...there seem to be different GVW's between trucks that might account for this...even within the same series of truck.
Edit...my 79 owners manual shows 4 different GVW's....4800,5200,5300and 5500 for an F100 4X2

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts