Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

L600 that goes, but won't stop going.

Fellro

Staff member
Does it have an air pump (belt driven) If not it is hydo-vac. My 71 F600 is hydrovac as well. It can be that there is a vacuum line issue, or the hydro-vac unit may have failed. Best thing first is to assure it has vacuum to it.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
It does not. The only belt drive are power steering and alternator.

Here is what it looks like. Is this what you have?

IMG_20130916_09231201_zps01bf95ad.jpg

Sent from the comfort of my toilet seat.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
OK. Now, how do I test it?

Sent from the comfort of my toilet seat.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
The truck has vacuum to the booster, should I even bother trying to find a replacement for the booster, or just haul it into a repair shop?

Fellro

Staff member
The booster works much the same as the pedal mounted, except it doesn't have the rod actuating it. However, it may not be a bad idea to have someone familiar with them to check it out.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Yeah, I have been looking over schematics, and it looks a little fragile insides, mainly the diaphragms.

I think I will load it up on the flat bed and haul it in. I know a guy at a shop that is great with older farm stuff.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Off to the doctor!

IMG_20131008_121957_zps4d0453a5.jpg

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
That is a heavy truck! Driving up the ramps, it took enough weight off the truck that I was sliding the pick up forward until the rear tires grabbed the ramp. Pushed it forward about 5 foot!

Destroyed one load range G trailer tire on the trip, and the E rated spare next to it, as well.

The tire separated, butt is still holding air! After it happened, I had to keep going. This tire has at least 70 miles on it AFTER coming apart, and is still holding air!

IMG_20131008_153836_zpsb77ce0d6.jpg

The bulge in it caused crazy wear in the new spare next to it. Half of the tire is worn nearly smooth. Not side to side, but circumferentially on the half by the blown out spot on the other tire... Hard to explain with words, but I don't have a picture of the spare.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts