Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

just looking for advice

ok so been looking at old fords a little, always loved the 70's. just wanting a decent truck nothing special. just to mess around in maybe have a lil fun, and i'd like to coon hunt in it since i have a diesel now and not good on it runnin around and turning it on and off alot listening for dogs. i know i want a long bed and round head lights so i guess those are 73-77 if im correct?? 6 cylinder is fine with me not needing it for haulin or anything i got a truck for that. i'd like to find a 4x4 just for a lil more fun with it. but anyways now i've said kinda what i'm looking for i dont know much at all bout these ol fords. is there anything i need to pay special attention to? any specific parts or anything to look at? certain motors or trannies to stay away from or anything at all besides the normal stuff when looking at buying a truck?

everyone has their preferances man but they all seem to work well for what your looking for. If you do go 6cyl i my self prefer the "big block" 300 inline with a 435 trans. But thats just me. Also i prefer drive flanges to lock outs but agiain its all in preferance. The main thing to watch for is rot. Wheel wells and cab corners are easy to replace but cab mounts are a pita. Also check the leafspring hangers and shackles by stabbing with a screwdriver, hit the frame around them as well as they like to rot in that area. Also the power assist systems on the highboy are a love it / hate it type deal but are easy enough to change.. Hope this helps get you started

i would have to agree with donaldderby on this. its more of what you would prefer to have when it comes to your truck. also the early 78s had round headlights too but even if you were to get a 79 with the square lights they are pretty easy to convert from square to round lights. and if you would prefer a 6 cyl the 300 ci 6 cyl cant be stopped they run forever. my 79 has a 300 in it and has roughly 183k on it and runs great and being a 3/4 ton with 3.54 gears still manages decent fuel milage as well. but its all in what you would like to have or what you need to have. if you find something that works for you then go for it.

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Other then rust issues you cant go wrong with a 300 and a 4sp in one of these old trucks. They will take huge amounts of abuse and beg for more.

thanks for the info. i actually dont think i've seen any 300's for sale...atleast in my area, im not trying to go 3 hours or anything to look at a truck. there are quite a few 351's i'm seeing. so are all the motors they put in these trucks pretty much ok?...i mean i know any motor can have problems. i know i've just heard stuff bout motors in whatever brand truck you know..people saying "oh stay away from that motor"...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I agree...and as much as the 300 is touted for "tons of torque"...look at the specs....it has more main bearings, but it's a straight six...I would hope it would...referring to the bearings...not torque.
All of the 70's engines (post 71) suffered from smog restrictions forcing the automakers to either retool or try to make an existing engine work....the latter being the most prevalent.
All of these engines can be woken up with a little work and I really don't think any were bad.
Oh...except for Cat diesels and Harley's...but I don't get out much.
:D

Last edited:

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
I love the 300. Only engine (besides a 2.9) that really ever impressed me seriously.

Theres nothing wrong with the 351m and its pry the most common engine in the 150s of the era.

But really they all do the job....id hold out for a 300 or 400 though

im not a fan of a 351m myself(never owned one but know lots of people who have) and everyone ive ever met whos owned a 351m equipped truck has said they run great but after 100k miles they blow pretty fast. not sure of the truth behind this and having never owned one personally i cant really say their bad ive just always been to avoid them at all costs unless they have been rebuilt and the owner has all paperwork to prove and verify said rebuild

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
get a 300 6cyl they are really easy to work on ive never had one til about a month ago and ive done all the work on it myself thanks to the guys in this forum. mine cranks everytime i turn the key.but dont let the term big block fool you they just have more cubic inches than some v8s you will probably wont hear the term big block 6 anywhere else but here.craigslist will be your best chance to find one.good luck on your search.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
I like the 351M/400 engines myself, but that 300 isn't a slouch either for it is quite a little torque minter , those old :300 sixes are not boat anchors

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts