Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Just dropping in.

Its been a busy past month, but an incredibly good one. Life is pretty dang good these days. :) But here's some recent shots of my F-150.

28a360a3.jpg

5a93587a.jpg

35ce3f33.jpg

Sorry for the quality, cheap camera and bad lighting.

On a less cheery note, last weekend two of my three Fords quit on me. Those two being the '89 Tempo and the F-150. The third (the '90 Tempo) got me to where I had to go (my high school's Homecoming game and dance), but promptly broke down after getting me to the school.

So the F-150... Bad alternator. No biggy. But something really funky happened and it got ridiculously hot. So hot it melted the connecting wires and turned the two inlets black. Anyone ever hear or see something like that happen? Never heard of an alternator practically catching fire.

The Tempo turned out to be a bad distributor-to-alternator wire. By bad, I mean it wasn't the right size and fit too loosely on the coil end of the wire. Swapped the '90 Tempo's stock wire into the more solid '89 and its been fine. The '90 even had a neat little plastic clip that secures the wire to the coil. Gosh Ford, you've got some neat little touches to your cars.

The '90... Its just in rough shape. Leaks oil from an unknown spot, leaks radiator fluid from a cracked thermostat housing gasket, and leaks ATX fluid from a slightly twisted trans pan. It also shorts out when you turn the key, so its gotta be jump started every time.

Aside from those things... Life is good folks.

The Ford 2G alts are known to catch fire....swap to a internally regulated 3G alternator and you'll be much happier.

Also take the opprotunity to upgrade your charge and ground cables to 4 or 2 gauge.

smilieIagree That first pic is awesome looks like something in the Smithsonian lol. Goodto hear lifes good

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
That first pic is great!

You've got some bad influences if people have told you that.....boy I oughta... :slap:
I'd say most of my friends are of the opinion that Ford means 'fix or repair daily.' :p But most of 'em have jumped ship from their respective brands and joined the Ford family of fine cars in the past year. For which, I give them plenty of crap. ;)

Regardless... I love my Fords, and I wouldn't trade any of 'em. Besides I've had Dodges and Chevy's, and from that experience Ford does build the better car (by a long shot). Most of my Fords ailments fall under the categories of owner misuse/abuse or just simple old-age maintenance items.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts