Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Jacking up F250 - bottle jack position?

Greetings :)

I just bought a 6 ton bottle jack, brand new, which I want to use to jack up my F250 so I can get the front tire off and take it to the tire shop for a replacement.

Does anyone know of a DIY with pics? I looked underneath her and don't see where the best place is to position the jack.

I've searched You Tube and there is nothing, which is pretty incredible. I have to get her wheel off and get this done today.

I have never had to take her tires off by myself before and when I did take her tires off (with help) it was like 8 years ago and I don't remember all the ins and outs. I don't have anyone to help me with this (incredible isn't it?) and I believe the bottle jack would be better to use than hunting for all the parts and pins etc for the jack that came with her--I seriously doubt I'll be able to find all the parts and I just want to get this done. I have a couple of cinder blocks to put underneath her after I get her jacked up and I see a couple good places for those--but not the bottle jack. I don't want to jack up the whole truck LOL just the driver's side front.

After I get her new tire on, I'm driving her straight back to the shop to get her spare tire done next.

I got her back a couple months ago after my older kids used her for a couple years and she's so badly neglected and beat up it's not even funny. The spare is a gonner--bad tire. The right front tire is bald. Last week her left front tire blew out, and damaged her fender. The list of things that need fixing goes on and on. I ordered two new tires for her front and they're in. I already got her a new fender. :) Going to be hunting for an affordable body shop to paint and install that--But I already had a long long long laundry list of things that she needs now that I have her back. So you all will be seeing a lot of me in here LOL Kids moved away out of state, so now she's gonna stay home with mamma for some TLC.

Meanwhile, how do I use the bottle jack? How do I assemble it? The owner's manual it came with is worthless. Where do I position it under the truck to jack up the left front (driver's side)?

Thanks for all your help smilieFordlogo

Update

Meanwhile, how do I use the bottle jack? How do I assemble it? The owner's manual it came with is worthless. Where do I position it under the truck to jack up the left front (driver's side)?

I figured out how the bottle jack works. I also still have the owner's manual for the truck thank goodness and amazingly, it gives detailed instructions on using a bottle jack to raise the truck for a tire change. I have tire blocks too which it even showed where to place them. :) This is going well so far!

Update #2

Found all the pieces to her stock jack. Turns out she is sitting too low to the ground to use the bottle jack--it's too tall. Gonna see if her stock jack will fit underneath. If not, I'll probably be heading to the store to exchange the bottle jack for a floor jack. LOLOL Isn't this fun. The only down side to all of this is that it's about 110 degrees outside on the pavement....:flag: I might as well fire up the grill and celebrate our Nation's birthday while I'm out there!

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
You can place the bottle jack - or floor jack just about any solid lifting place. Under the frame, axle near the springs , under the spring pack (coil springs), etc. Make sure what ever you lift on is solid enough to support the weight of the truck.

Take it easy and if it seems unstable, back off and start over. Don't take chances.

Loosen the nuts on the wheel studs before you lift it off the ground. Once they're loose, raise the truck and finish removing the nuts.

Reverse process after you put the spare on. Snug the nuts in place ( I rotate the wheel as I turn them in to make sure the wheel is aligned evenly on the studs. It is possible to pinch the wheel off-center and it will then loosen when you drive). Then lower the wheel so it touches the ground and finish tightening.

You can place the bottle jack - or floor jack just about any solid lifting place. Under the frame, axle near the springs , under the spring pack (coil springs), etc. Make sure what ever you lift on is solid enough to support the weight of the truck.

Take it easy and if it seems unstable, back off and start over. Don't take chances.

Loosen the nuts on the wheel studs before you lift it off the ground. Once they're loose, raise the truck and finish removing the nuts.

Reverse process after you put the spare on. Snug the nuts in place ( I rotate the wheel as I turn them in to make sure the wheel is aligned evenly on the studs. It is possible to pinch the wheel off-center and it will then loosen when you drive). Then lower the wheel so it touches the ground and finish tightening.

Thanks :) After reading the owner's manual to the truck and finding all the pieces to the rather nice jack that came with her, I was able to get the wheel off and taken to the shop -- I should have taken a picture of the two new truck tires in my Beetle's front seat with the top down when I came back LOLOL. I returned the bottle jack. The jack that came with her is a lot like a bottle jack but shorter and actually easier to operate :) Thanks again!

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
The mental picture of the VDub made me chuckle this am. Glad you got it sorted out.

Those old truck jacks are just about fool-proof and Ford used them for decades. They were basically unchanged since they were included with my 48 F1

Ford Truck Articles