Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

ive been hearin about these fancy spark plugs

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
so iv seen advertisement all over the place for these e3 diamondfire sparkpplugs that r supposed to b amazing....are they what they are drawn up to be? are they worth the outrageous price?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Be careful of these things. Many ignition systems actually measure voltages. Any changes can actually cause a driveability issue. Remember Splitfire plugs? Many gm vehicles wont even run with these things in them.

I seen a couple of articles that said all those fancy electrode sparkplugs aren't any better than single electrode, they're just snake oil. Single electrodes are actually better to me because they can be regapped to what you need. Platinums stay cleaner and wear slower than regular plugs. I don't know anything about the iridium plugs or anybody that's used them.

blacksnapon

Staff member
You actually get better results by "indexing" your plugs. Do this by using shims or washers to make the gap face the intake valve when installed.

Old_Paint

Old guy with old cars
Alabama
Gimmicky spark plugs normally don't last long in a Ford EEC-IV Ignition system. Not even good quality gimmick plugs that work great in other vehicles. For example, the Platinum IV's by Bosch work wonderfully in my VW. They didn't last 5000 miles in my truck. The VW has a pretty big cam, twin carbs and uses about twice as much fuel as the V8 in my truck with less than half the displacement (1740CC). I will NEVER ever again put gimmicky plugs in my Ford, and I will never ever again use gimmicky plug wires on my truck. Ford Racing is about as gimmicky as I will get on wires.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Will it didn't make my truck do a wellie or any thing but my truck as been hard starting and after I changed them out the truck fired on the the first touch other then that I dont know if I see any thing different..
But they must have done some thing.
Oh and my nasty rough idle is gone smooth as butta.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
even new "normal" plugs probably would fix a hard starting problem if the old plugs were worn out.

After i bought my 95 F150, i changed the plugs, and they were worn out (must have been the originals. The average gap on them was .080, but it still ran. Put motorcraft plugs in and it ran like a top.

platinum plugs usually make the 5.0's run like crappp

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Gimmicky spark plugs normally don't last long in a Ford EEC-IV Ignition system. Not even good quality gimmick plugs that work great in other vehicles. For example, the Platinum IV's by Bosch work wonderfully in my VW. They didn't last 5000 miles in my truck. The VW has a pretty big cam, twin carbs and uses about twice as much fuel as the V8 in my truck with less than half the displacement (1740CC). I will NEVER ever again put gimmicky plugs in my Ford, and I will never ever again use gimmicky plug wires on my truck. Ford Racing is about as gimmicky as I will get on wires.
x2

Good lord do not put anything but basic Motorcraft or Autolite plugs in that engine. Like he said, the EEC-IV engines hate anything but a basic copper plug. I've heard many horror stories.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
As stated...they won't do anything for a basically stock truck. Proper gapping of a 'stock' plug will yield far better results. It's my understanding that the electrical system will only produce enough spark as needed, meaning these plugs are useless on stock engines.

Old_Paint

Old guy with old cars
Alabama
they took an engine in my 92!! what an expensive leason lernd
Lemme guess ...

Porcelain around electrode went snap, and got stuck between the piston and cylinder wall? I found pieces missing from the plug in #8 and #7, and had a very sick feeling in my stomach for a few days. Apparently, the pieces blew out through the exhaust, though. That was nearly 2 years ago, and it ain't smoking yet. But that truck will NEVER get Bosch plugs in it again. The original Motorcraft plugs had well over 100,000 miles on 'em when I changed them, so I don't know what possessed me to put anything else back in. Like I said, though, ain't happenin again.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
^^^ The plugs in my f150 had 160000 on them and it still ran fine. (worn out to the point of .080 gap) I think that is a testament to the motorcraft/autolite plugs.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Ive been usin platium plugs in all my 5.0's and 5.8's since ive been workin on cars, even back in the day with my dad. Just ware better and last longer. All you really need a basic plat plug, autolite double plats or motorcraft plats work good. Copper isnt used in anything anymore. At my job, Denso Iridums dont get changed till 100k and usually look brand new when we take em out. So do the Motorcraft plats I take out of the E-Series. 140k still looking new. Works for me. Do what works for you, thats whats best.

Autolite 25's are the way to go in the trucks.. although Autolite is no longer "Motorcraft" persay, more indipendent.. honestly running stock plugs in anything is usually best, which is why i use all AC Delco things on the S10

Autolite 25's are the way to go in the trucks.. although Autolite is no longer "Motorcraft" persay, more indipendent.. honestly running stock plugs in anything is usually best, which is why i use all AC Delco things on the S10

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts