Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Its been an up and down week....

This week has been great for the most part.

Tuesday I drove the truck out to the Dam (overlooking lake and river) for our club meeting.

Friday was a local cruise in with about 30 vehicles. I am surprised since it was supposed to be pouring rain.

Saturday was a parade and car show. The town paid for burgers, hotdogs, chips, cookies, and drinks for everyone. There were 3 live bands and tons of games. They had craft vendors there too.

I helped register all the cars and trucks. There were 49 registered, but many more just parked there. No...I forgot my camera. :headbang:

On the way home from the show...my brakes started going away. I had to gear down to get turned into the driveway and almost didn't make that. OOPS!

Today dad and I investigated. Several of my wheel cylinders are seeping. My shoes were all worn (adjusted them up), but the worst problem is the front drums are uneven. The shoes are only touching (after they were adjusted up) about half the width of the drum.

Oh...I found out the wires are sticking out of one of my tires too. Now I have to find another used one. LOL

The PO rebuilt it all just before I got it. Apparently, he was not a good brake man.

At least I didn't hit anything (especially in the parade).

Tomorrow, after my blood work gets done, I will see if anyone has (or can order) the parts for me.

If I can get parts in, I will try to get it ready for a trip to Springfield Saturday. The truck club is meeting for a cookout and to get ready for the Ozarks Run in July.

Later,
Brian

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Glad you're getting out, and that you were able to take your truck.

Too bad your brake problems, but I always kinda figure it's a good day with brake problems, if the parts you need to find when you get home are brake parts, not fenders.

Brian! Good to see you, my old friend.
Heard about the Transplant: Congratulations~!!!
Hope you are staying drier over there than here is:)
Tom

......I always kinda figure it's a good day with brake problems, if the parts you need to find when you get home are brake parts, not fenders.

Good point!!! smilieIagree

I buy my 48 brake parts from the local NAPA store.

I just made it home from errands. My brake parts will be at NAPA at 8:00 AM (approximately).

Brian! Good to see you, my old friend.
Heard about the Transplant: Congratulations~!!!
Hope you are staying drier over there than here is:)
Tom

Good to see you around again Tom. How is the health doing? PM me if you want to keep it private for now. Getting out any? How far are you from Springfield? I will be up there in the truck (if I get the brakes fixed) or the explorer Saturday.

I buy my 48 brake parts from the local NAPA store.

I drove the truck all over town today. The adjusting all 4 sets of shoes helped tremendously. I can't wait until I get the new parts in. bigdance

I also picked up 4 (nearly new) michelin tires for it today (mastercard is going to love me now). The ones I bought (well used) 2 1/2 years ago were pretty well shot when I started looking close this morning. These should last until I get rich and can afford WWW (wide white walls). :rolling laugh:

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Glad u got her new shoes and brakes. Now u can drive the wheels off her. Later Big guy ..

She is not on her wheels yet. I picked up the brake parts today. I dropped the drums off tonight. They are going to clean and even them up a little for me. The back ones are not too bad, but the front need some work.

I have one side done (new wheel cylinder and shoes). Just waiting on the drums tomorrow.

Here is what is commonly known as an Arkansas lift kit:

DSCF0915.jpg

Here are the tires (not on at the moment obviously):

DSCF0916.jpg

The step plates:

DSCF0917.jpg

And the console:

DSCF0918.jpg

IMG%5D

Today was slow again. I picked up the drums this afternoon (all are original ford parts). The little clips that hold the hand brake cable to the rear shoes were shot on both sides (cracked). I checked with 4 parts stores (said they are obsolete) and 2 hardware stores before I gave up.

Turns out...dad just made some out of stainless at the shop.

I cleaned, primed, and painted the drums. We (dad and I) managed to assemble the back brake parts. The drums are just on there until we bleed them.

DSCF0919.jpg

Notice my new (bright yellow) Monroe gas magnum shocks in the background?

We assembled the right front (passenger) side. No issues there.

However, when we went around and started taking the left front (drivers) side apart there are parts missing. :(

We stopped for the night. I will go get the parts tomorrow.

I keep hoping I get to drive this thing to Springfield Saturday. YelloThumbUp

Its filthy, but it lives again (for now).

Dad and I just took it down off the blocks. The brakes work well around here in the yard. I am too nasty to drive it right now. I will take it out and play tomorrow.

DSCF0920.jpg

Looks like I might get to drive it this weekend after all. smiliepeelout

Ford Truck Articles