Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Is this Chiltons any good?

I have some problems with one of my hubs howling on gas back off in 4WD and need to disassemble it to repair (as well as install front brakes/rotors). Since I haven't had a modern F350 apart before, I at least want to get an idea of what I'll be looking at. My history with Chilton's manuals hasn't been the best and would like an opinion if anyone has ever used this book. If not much good, does anyone have a shop manual section that he can copy and forward??

Thanks

Attachments

• Chiltons.jpg

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I have some problems with one of my hubs howling on gas back off in 4WD and need to disassemble it to repair (as well as install front brakes/rotors). Since I haven't had a modern F350 apart before, I at least want to get an idea of what I'll be looking at. My history with Chilton's manuals hasn't been the best and would like an opinion if anyone has ever used this book. If not much good, does anyone have a shop manual section that he can copy and forward??

Thanks

The chiltons books are decent, you can purchase a Ford shop manual for your truck, probably find one on ebay that would be the way to go. May want to check your diff bearings for that howling noise.

trying to help my brother with a similar issue. he has a high pitch howling when NOT in 4x4. could the diff bearings still produce this noise if not engaged?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
First, welcome to FTF!

It depends. Does he have automatic hubs? Can you give us any more info on the truck? It might also be a wheel bearing issue.

99 f250 7.3diesel 4x4.. it has both auto and manual hubs from the factory. sounds like a tire hum, but have rotated and checked all tires. happens between 30 and 45. have replaced left hub thinking that was it. no help. any ideas??

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
If the hubs are unlocked and t-case in 2wd the front diff shouldn't be spinning. While driving down the road make sharp turning motions back and fourth right to left and see if the noise changes, if it does it's load related which could be a front wheel bearing, if no change your probably looking at a diff bearing in the rear since the front is off, I guess theres always a possiblity of a bad bearing in the trans or t-case but the diff is the most common place.

To answer my own questions - this 'dedicated' Chilton's F350 manual is a POS, printed on stuff resembling toilet paper and having picture resolution that is so bad that most are useless as guides. Don't waste your money.'drama'

As far as the howling hubs - they needed to be disassembled, cleaned and regreased

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts