Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Is the Ranger not returning for 2012?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
guess thats just to make sure people really know the difference?

IMO...if they can't tell the difference, that's proof they shouldn't be driving it.

it bothers me to see a truck not being used as a truck beyond belief..........

To an extent, me too. I realize a truck can't do 'truck things' at all times, but the fact that 90% of them never see 'truck use' bothers me. And I'm sure the majority that do are either farm use or fleet vehicles.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Simple answer- they sell anywhere from 600,000- 1,000,000 F-Series pickups a year. That's roughly 10X's the sales volume the Ranger generates, and the biggest seller in the Us for... what... 27 years in a row? GM sells about the same number Silverado/Sierra pickups, while they kick 50,000-75,000 Colorado's/Canyon's out the door. It cost them over a Billion $$$'s to bring the new Colorado/Canyon to market, and they'll never see a payback on that investment.

I'm not trying to argue with ya Ernie, but you said F-Series. F-Series= F150, F250, F350, F450 and so on. I'm talking about the F150 by itself. How do F150 sales compare to the Ranger?

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I always thought it was dumb for Ford to offer two different body styles. I never understood why they made that split. Obviously, it hasn't hurt them...but would it have hurt them to keep the same body style on different chassis?

I've heard it was because the 97 Re-Design wasn't widely accepted at first, especially the 7700 crap they had, so they scrapped the tradition and brought out the separate design for the F250+.

Chris, the EcoPoof would be great in a Brazilian F100, or better recognized as an American F250 Single cab short bed.

1280433070_100166272_1-Fotos-de--FORD-F100-XLT-MOD-2004-1280433070.jpg

There's really no reason to keep the current F150 around if they brought the Brazilian F100 to America and renamed it the F150.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The sales totals say you're wrong- the commmercial market accounts for about 35-40% of the total sales.

Ok ok...you got me. So I'll retract that to 90% of the regular joe and jane doe's that go to the lot to buy things. But what's the definition of commercial? Construction companies using their trucks? Offices that provide vehicles for highway driving (I know my place has a few company trucks)? The school systems that simply tool around the city? Fire stations? So I'd really need to see a break down of what consists of 'commercial use'.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I'm not trying to argue with ya Ernie, but you said F-Series. F-Series= F150, F250, F350, F450 and so on. I'm talking about the F150 by itself. How do F150 sales compare to the Ranger?

Makes up roughly half the total (Ford doesn't break them down- GM does). FYI- the Silverado/Sierra 1500 outsells the F150, but the Super Duty outsells the GM HD models.

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
Just a general comment: I don't think you guys "get" the mainstream pickup market. Let's kick the commercial users out of the conversation for a minute, and concentrate on the private buyer. What motivates them?

1. With an average new car costing roughly $30,000, many folks are looking for a vehicle that can perform a variety of functions.

2. People percieve the pickup the same way they did Volvo's 20 years ago- durable, reliable, safe, with above-average resale.

3. There's a significant buyer group out there that will pay $70,000 plus for a new pickup (priced a new Powerstroke lately?) because it makes a statement: "not a Lexus." Or fill ihn your favorite import brand. Denali/Escalade buyers especially fit into this group.

4. Hard to believe, the market for a traditional, V8 engine in the front, drive wheels in the back, riding on a full-frame and built in the USA vehicle never really went away. As fewer new passenger cars fit this description, pickup sales kept increasing. There are, apparantly, still a lot of "old school" buyers out there (I'm one of them).

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
Okay, we know what about how many F150s' are sold, but what about the Ranger sales?

Roughly 300,000-500,000 F150's to 50-75,000 Rangers, depending on the year. Huge difference.

Of interest, the only manufacturer that has real luck in the compact/mid-size segment is Toyota with the Tacoma... although it's priced like a full-size. When the new Tundra hit the market, Tacoma sales shot through the roof, while the Tundra still struggles to beat sales numbers of the old body style.- which tells a huge story in itself.

My pwn theory, going back to prior discussion's with jack when the Tundra first came out, is that fuill-size pickup owners buy domestic, and they buy them in huge numbers. Toyota doesn't "get" that market yet.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
But see, how many middle and lower class individuals are buying a new F150? The rich will always buy what costs more, because they think they get a certain quality with price. Nobody in my family has ever or will ever buy anything that's $30K simply because they can't afford it. And we're considered upper middle class. A base Ranger MSRPs at about $17K. With dealer games, go to about $20K. That's still $10K less than an F150, and in a more tried and true platform. The Ranger does the same job as an F150, at a much lower price. In my opinion, the only reason half the 2004+ F150 owners out there have one is because they believe it makes their status symbol go up.

Last edited:

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
But see, how many middle and lower class individuals are buying a new F150? The rich will always buy what costs more, because they think they get a certain quality with price. Nobody in my family has ever or will ever buy anything that's $30K simply because they can't afford it. And we're considered upper middle class. A base Ranger MSRPs at about $17K. With dealer games, go to about $20K. That's still $10K less than an F150, and in a more tried and true platform. The Ranger does the same job as an F150, at a much lower price. The only reason half the 2004+ F150 owners out there have one is because they believe it makes their status symbol go up.

The real question is how many middle/lower-middle class peeps are buying a new anything. And they simple answer is- they aren't. They got priced out of the new car market years ago, and the economy placed them solidly in the used car segment. Hyundai and KIA have been tackling this segment with their entry-level products.

Last edited:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Not gonna lie Shaun...I love the blue oval...but I'm like you. I think FOrd is going the way of the rest of the country and becoming pussified. Dunno if the chicken came before the egg or not, so it's tough to blame them...their producing what the majority want. So I guess that means I (and you) are the odd men out. We like big gas guzzling carbed engines...we like trucks being trucks...we don't need 12 cup holders and we don't need our a$$es heated. Sure that thought process is outdated, and might even sound ignorant considering what technological advancements have done for vehicles these days. But to me, with modern vehicles, they just don't 'feel' right. And the way you feel about the ranger is the same way I feel about no more 400+ci gassers. Modern vehicles just don't excite me or have the same appeal as vehicles did 15 years ago and older. To be quite honest, if I wasn't raised a Ford lover, without a doubt, I'd be a chevy guy. Personally, I think at this moment, they do in fact have the sexiest vehicles.

I'm with you 100% on this one which is why I'm in the market for a second dent. I don't use mine currently for work for a bunch of reasons......but I'm with you on the above post!

I still think we're half brothers.

Even with my F100, I made it a top of the line trim level clone, and all that got me was a little more padding in the seat, and carpet. It still has no A/C, it's still loud, it still clanks, but by gosh I love the heck out of it. Plus, you won't find another one like it.

With my Ranger, the a/c is great and all, but it's not necessary. Luckily, Edges still have vinyl floor mats, so I still feel like she's a real truck. The seats are still plain old seats too. Unfortunately, white supercab Edges are everywhere, and i've seen about 20 others like mine since we got it. I like having something different, and you just can't have that with new vehicles.

One of the only reasons i'm still hanging on to Ford is because of the Ranger, and slightly because of the Mustang. If they drop the Ranger, i'll be done with new Ford vehicles and i'll cross over to the dark side.

I have said this a dozen times on this forum.....If I had $XXk to spend on a truck, I would restore and drive a dent any day over buying a brand new Ford pick up off the lot for many reasons, some of which was just mentioned above.

I won't say I'll go to the dark side...but I doubt I'd own anything newer than 2005 any time soon. I do think it's impressive the kind of payloads and tow ratings and power numbers vehicles/trucks are producing these days, but something about how their advertised, or 'who' you typically see driving them, etc. just doesn't appeal to me. A truck shouldn't be a family car, a truck shouldn't be considered the nicest vehicle in the driveway. But the manufacturers figured out 90% of folks out there aren't using or buying trucks to be trucks any more.

I will never buy a newish or even a new truck. I'll stay in the 70's and early 80's for as long as possible.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Yep, you have a point.

But another factor, is what happens if gas jumps to $4 a gallon? Look what happened to the Excursion. Even with the Ecopoof, Americans will still believe that bigger gets worse gas mileage, so the demand for F150s will most likely go down, and compact pickups will make a comeback. Ford will have wiped out their compact pickup segment, so what are they gonna do? Throw a 4 banger in the F150?

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
Yep, you have a point.

But another factor, is what happens if gas jumps to $4 a gallon? Look what happened to the Excursion. Even with the Ecopoof, Americans will still believe that bigger gets worse gas mileage, so the demand for F150s will most likely go down, and compact pickups will make a comeback. Ford will have wiped out their compact pickup segment, so what are they gonna do? Throw a 4 banger in the F150?

Bit of a quandry there, isn't it? I've seen it happen- three times- in my lifetime. All I can say is Americans have short memories. Should've bought a late-model Suburban when they could be had for half of Kelly Blue Book two summers ago.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Bit of a quandry there, isn't it? I've seen it happen- three times- in my lifetime. All I can say is Americans have short memories. Should've bought a late-model Suburban when they could be had for half of Kelly Blue Book two summers ago.

True. But for that few month period where Americans will want smaller pickups, Ford will be screwed.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
True. But for that few month period where Americans will want smaller pickups, Ford will be screwed.

Short term maybe.....but long term.....America is America....we're spoiled and we spend money. Ford will continue to sell those beasts....

Yes, I agree that there are more luxurious trucks out there than what there was 15 years ago but look at a XLT between the years; you get an A/C, cloth seats, CD player (15 years ago they were tapes but it's the same concept), power windows and locks, cruise control. There isn't really much difference besides the dash read out and compass.

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
Ok ok...you got me. So I'll retract that to 90% of the regular joe and jane doe's that go to the lot to buy things. But what's the definition of commercial? Construction companies using their trucks? Offices that provide vehicles for highway driving (I know my place has a few company trucks)? The school systems that simply tool around the city? Fire stations? So I'd really need to see a break down of what consists of 'commercial use'.

"Commercial" is a very broad definition- anything that qualifies for large fleet or small business discounts is considered commercial, and that includes agriculture. The only breakdown we ever see on comercial users are 1)Government/municipalities 2) Large Fleet (with FoMoCo fleet account # 3) Small Fleet.

It shouldn't make any difference- a small business opwner's F450 king Ranch is no less a working vehicle than a School Districts F250 XL regular cab. Let's not forget there are huge tax advantages given to trucks that are written off in business, as opposed to passenger cars.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Yes, I agree that there are more luxurious trucks out there than what there was 15 years ago but look at a XLT between the years; you get an A/C, cloth seats, CD player (15 years ago they were tapes but it's the same concept), power windows and locks, cruise control. There isn't really much difference besides the dash read out and compass.

Uhh, 30 years ago on XLT's, heated seats were not an option. Neither were 6 tape cassette players. Power Mirrors were, but nobody ever checked that option off. There were no turn signals in the mirrors, towing mirrors could only be had on F250+ trucks, Rear bench seats were the same as the front(no frills), rear window defrost was a rare option, lumbar support was virtually non existent, cruise control was vacuum controlled, and leather seats were not an option at all.

There's alot of difference.

Also, Being an XLT doesn't make a dang bit of difference. My Ranger Lariat F100 is a no power window, no power lock, no cruise control, no a/c beast of a truck.

Go to your Ford dealer and try to order an XLT with a vinyl front bench. 30 years ago, that was an option. Not today.

Uhh, 30 years ago on XLT's, heated seats were not an option. Neither were 6 tape cassette players. Power Mirrors were, but nobody ever checked that option off. There were no turn signals in the mirrors, towing mirrors could only be had on F250+ trucks, Rear bench seats were the same as the front(no frills), rear window defrost was a rare option, lumbar support was virtually non existent, cruise control was vacuum controlled, and leather seats were not an option at all.

There's alot of difference.

Also, Being an XLT doesn't make a dang bit of difference. My Ranger Lariat F100 is a no power window, no power lock, no cruise control, no a/c beast of a truck.

Go to your Ford dealer and try to order an XLT with a vinyl front bench. 30 years ago, that was an option. Not today.

I don't see why you're complaining because things are optional you can get a that has maybe a couple more features than my 88 Bronco XLT. You keep saying your truck is a Ranger Lariat I'm not familiar with the options on the 80 but I'm pretty sure some of those things you listed that your truck does not have were standard features on real Ranger Lariats.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts