Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Intermitent Cranking Problems

Have A F350 1989 with a 460. sometimes it cranks sometimes it wont. smells like its flooding out. my fuel pump runs too long when it doesnt crank. its a new pump. if i hold the gas pedal down sometimes it starts. almost like it isnt getting enough air. i think the fuel regulator may be sticking open. could this cause the problem? any help is appreciated.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Have A F350 1989 with a 460. sometimes it cranks sometimes it wont. smells like its flooding out. my fuel pump runs too long when it doesnt crank. its a new pump. if i hold the gas pedal down sometimes it starts. almost like it isnt getting enough air. i think the fuel regulator may be sticking open. could this cause the problem? any help is appreciated.

possible that the regulator aint "regulating". have you pulled codes? if theres an electrical issue itll normally pop a code up..

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Well.... Is it cranking and turning with no start, or is it completely not cranking?

Ryan

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Yeah the throttle shouldn't be a part of the no-start issue unless it somehow is 100% closed with no throttle.

I'm not saying this is a good long-term practice but does it start when you use a little starter fluid in the air intake?

Ryan

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
check for a major vacum leak.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
i like to look for the simple things first..when was the last time you changed your fuel filter? do you hear your in tank pickups "whine" when you turn the key to "on" before you crank to start?

already changed the filter. the pump in the tank was replaced just a few weeks ago went bad. ive replaced both pumps, filter, regulator still cant figure it out. havent found a vacuum leak yet. sometimes when i turn the key on the pump runs continuously so i replaced the regulator and it runs just long enough to build pressure now. but its still flooding. doesnt always do it. if i hold the pedal down and crank it quick without letting the pump run it normally cranks. ive had cranking problems for a couple of months now and ill try something and it runs good for a few days and then starts acting up again. just havent hit the source of the problem yet. its slowly getting to be a more common thing.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts