Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

interior/cargo lights staying on??

jbashaw

daddy bashaw
so i went to my moms today and when i got out my interior lights and cargo lights stayed on.. i have replaced both door jamb switches already to no avail. my question is there any common places this circuit shorts out?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Make sure the door is closing all the way. The nylon sleeve on the door striker is probably broken/ missing

jbashaw

daddy bashaw
i have New door switches Im thinking headlight switch is bad because if you move it just right the dash lights go completely out... I'll replace the headlight switch and see what happens.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Tape the switch down, and make sure the light goes off before you buy anything. I had a Ranger one time, that I had to tape a penny to the dore where the switch hit to make the light go out

jbashaw

daddy bashaw
huge shot in the dark here but think a speed sensor could cause this or something electrical on my tranny? cause when i unhook the interior light fuse my mileage goes blank overdrive light flashes and speedo stops working.... so they are obviously on the same circuit.... i just can't keep pulling a fuse everytime i get out cause Im pretty forgetfi need some direction here...

jbashaw

daddy bashaw
and i completely unhooked my remote start/ keyless entry too to no avail even tho i didn't have it even hooked up to my dome light circuit.... when i got the truck the cargo lights were removed and interior lights unhooked.... i figured they did it because the door switches were bad... i replaced them and it stopped the problem for about 2 months now Im just stuck... trying give as much info as possible thanks guys

When you changed the door switches, did the light go off ?? If it didn't then its not those switches. What type of vehicle, the truck in your avatar ? Is there another switch some where like the tail gate ? Does it have that timer that keeps the light on for a minute after you close the door ? Maybe its that relay.

jbashaw

daddy bashaw
when i replaced the switches it fixed the problem for awhile.... it's something else now i have two New door switches New headlight switch... so Im assuming it has to be a short unless someone can point me in a better direction...

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Dome lights are actually triggered by ground, so you have a hot wire shorting to body somewhere. That would explain why it's not blowing a fuse
Pull the door switches back out, and check the wires coming out of them. Maybe from being pushed in and out all these years, the insulation is rubbed thin somewhere, then when you replace the switch, they change positions foe a while, then finally work their way back to the bare spot.

Start on the driver's side, that one gets the most use

jbashaw

daddy bashaw
started tracing wires from the door switches and behind the passenger door switch where it runs into the main harness behind the kick panel wires were melted together from kick panel rubbing....

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Glad you found the problem!

Ford Truck Articles