Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Instrument cluster backing plate

My backing plate is rotten and falling apart has anyone tried one of the replacements? I see there available at NPT, LMC, dennis carpenter, classic auto parts and bronco graveyard.
Thanks

I also found that dakota digital has a replacement gauges but can't find out if it replaces the backing plate it is a little pricey though at $610

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Only plate I've tried was from DC...and it's done it's job. As for the Dakota cluster, dunno if I'd go drop $600+ on a new guage system just because I needed a new backing plate.

Only plate I've tried was from DC...and it's done it's job. As for the Dakota cluster, dunno if I'd go drop $600+ on a new guage system just because I needed a new backing plate.

I agree it is pricey but the thing I like about it is that it has a built in tach and I just have the idiot light and it comes with a oil pressure gauge/sender so I could clean up my dash by getting rit of a water, oil, and tach gauges.
The other thing is I'm in canada and none of the places I listed have dealers in canada not that I can't order from them though.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Do a search for places in towns in the USA just across the border where you are...a lot have places that are there to accept USA packages and you can go and pick them up....it works great, is reasonably priced and solves the int. shipping issues and costs.

I have several good backing plates for the original clusters if your interested.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again

That's kinda why I made my own, but still had $400 or so in everything when all said and done. However, I already had the oil, water and voltmeter so all I had to do was add the speedo and fuel gauge. A custom speedo cable didn't help matters at $125. I didn't look into that before I started the project so that was a bit more expensive than I thought. But, I love having all the gauges right where I can see them.

Anyway, if you find a early 80s econoline Van you can get the backing plate of that. They are made better and won't rot out.

That Dakota Digital Gauge setup is really cool though.

Scott, don't you have a digital setup in your bronco? I thought it looked friggin' awesome and I'm not a fan of the "newer upgrades" in these trucks (except for the radio lol)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts