Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Installing an Exhaust

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Now I expect with Scott's strongly worded admonition against hijacking tech threads, that I will be spared the ridicule of being barney fife like in the garage.

So now I got my New F150. I am a little less scared of modding it then I was the PSD. I would like to start simple with an exhaust and an intake. Being a single father and generally a penny pincher I would like to see about doing the installs myself.

Despite my statement about being inept I am generally pretty handy and can follow directions if someone will read them to me :rofl: So if I were to buy a complete exhaust for my F150 is it something a regular Joe can install? I do not have a lift or anything but do have a floor jack and some jack stands. Same question for installing an intake. Also are there any reccomendations on good manufacturers of those two products for the F150?

From a tool standpoint I have a pretty good selection including sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers etc...I also have the always necessary "REALLY BIG HAMMER" if some coaxing is needed and a roll of "Todd Tape"

Thanks.

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I've heard good things about the Summit brand catback exhaust systems, custom bent for each vehicle. I would assume they are not very resistant to rust but being that you're in non-salty CA like me, I don't think you need to worry about it anyways. Added perk: they're cheap :D

Shouldn't be too hard to do. You'll probably need to the cut the pipe behind the cat with a Sawzall and then weld a flange to it... Have a look a Summit and see what they offer for complete cat-back systems.

As for the intake, I've got the K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kit. It's basically an open element, cloth and oil type filter (as opposed to the dry/paper filter that is stock on these trucks). I've heard mixed feelings about the K&N. People claim that you don't see any gains and that its actually a WORSE setup from stock because you're pulling hot engine compartment air and also pulling oil through the filter which can foul the Mass Air Flow sensor... Unfortunately I can't vouch for the difference from stock since the previous owner installed this setup. I am currently trying to get my hands on the stock airbox to try it out.

If it were me, I would either stick with the stock intake setup or install a drop in replacement that gets better flow. I've heard good things about the AEM DryFlow filters:
http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=93

Maybe try that? Good luck buddy.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Shouldn't be too difficult seeing as the truck is newer with less road wear.

On systems I like Magnaflow, Borla, and even Flowmaster.

I'm not much of a fan of the K&Ns anymore for the fact of they tend to let big dirt particles by, I'll be ditching the one in my F-150 here after I get it running, not sure what I'll go with though.

:flames:Always knew you had to be smokin' SOMETHIN....

Bah Humbug!

One thing to consider; (I believe it's still the Law in CA: on anything smaller than a 1-ton, it is in MO) All your exhaust Joints have to be completely welded, do they not? I didn't see a welder in your "tool chest", so I thought I'd mention it. I don't care much for welding under the vehicle/near the fuel tank anyway, so when I installed the big system on the sooperdooty, I just bolted it all together and took it to my welding friend in Joplin.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
You will be throwing your money away on an intake / open air filter.

The OEM setup (with a paper air filter) will flow way more air than the engine will pull.

With a K&N, the only thing it will flow more than the OEM paper filter is dirt and oil!

My $0.02

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
You will be throwing your money away on an intake / open air filter.

The OEM setup (with a paper air filter) will flow way more air than the engine will pull.

With a K&N, the only thing it will flow more than the OEM paper filter is dirt and oil!

My $0.02
This is what I've heard too... HEARD! I don't know for sure.

So if I were to buy a complete exhaust for my F150 is it something a regular Joe can install?

It is fairly easy to figure out what combination of 90* bends, 45* bends and straight pipe you need to put together the system....so you don't have to get a "complete" pre-packaged deal. You can get the bends you need, have the appropriate ends stretched so that everything is essentially a slip-fit, then knotch all the expanded ends and clamp it all together...so no welding. If you are doing headers (is that what you meant by complete exhaust system?) you will probably need a pre-fab'd y pipe too. Be carefull about size though....go for the smallest pipe you can use without inducing back pressure at the RPM that the motor makes peak power at, this will give you optimal scavenging. Any bigger than that and you are not doing yourself any favors.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts