Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

injecter?

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
i wana change injecters on my 92 f150 with the 302 and ive got a junk 351 of the same year,can i use the 351 injecters in my 302?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Since nobody has replied I'm going to take a random guess and say no... More displacement = more fuel, so I imagine that the 351 injectors are slightly bigger and would make your 302 run rich.

Just a guess :p

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
i wana change injecters on my 92 f150 with the 302 and ive got a junk 351 of the same year,can i use the 351 injecters in my 302?

IIRC correctly the 302 & 351 use the same 19# injector.

Even if they were say 24'#ers, wouldn't the ecm "relearn" and adjust for the extra fuel?

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Even if they were say 24'#ers, wouldn't the ecm "relearn" and adjust for the extra fuel?

That is a hell of an adjustment to add 26+% to the output and expect the computer to be able to lean the engine out that far. Remeber we are talking pounds here and an engine only has a split second to deliver the fuel at the correct time and precise amount. Also the fuel delivery has to take place at all altitudes and speeds. You increase the injector size that much and it will require a "custom tune" in order for the ECM to properly deal with the change.

NO, injector size is not something the computer can learn it is programmed in at the factory. The only feedback the SD EFI system has on how the engine is running is the O2 sensor, and while it does make some fuel trim adjustments based on that it's a relatively small amount and all other computer inputs must be within stock spec for these adjustments to be accurate.

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
well if it would rich'n it up a bit that would be great. this thing has never had a tan plug just gost white and half melted every time ive changed them. it runs pretty good only has about 40k on a ford reman,what im tryin to get rid of is a cold miss and i know ive got at least 1 bad injecter cuzz i believe thats why it melted a hole in the old engine,but ford said they was all good and put'm in this reman one

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
well if it would rich'n it up a bit that would be great. this thing has never had a tan plug just gost white and half melted every time ive changed them. it runs pretty good only has about 40k on a ford reman,what im tryin to get rid of is a cold miss and i know ive got at least 1 bad injecter cuzz i believe thats why it melted a hole in the old engine,but ford said they was all good and put'm in this reman one

Generally a hole in the piston is caused by pre-ignition/detonation. Pre-ignition can be caused by improper spark plug temperature, incorrect timing, carbon deposits in the cylinder, improperly operating EGR system, vacuum leaks. Check the engine senors and make sure they are operating within normal parameters.

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
this things been runin very lean forever. the exaust manifolds turn red and crack but she keeps on chugin away. the ford shop told me stop using a 1/2 ton like a superduty. to be honest im about ready to pull this lil 302 and e4od and drop in a 429 and a c6

Ford uses color coded injectors. I think 19# are black and 24# are light blue. Doublecheck on the internet to make sure. However, for you right now. Just look to see if the 302 and 351 injectors are the same color. If they are then they are the same size and you can use them. Bigger injectors won't necessarily help you, they will just waste gas. Unless you have engine mods of course.

FYI.. Ford 19lb injectors are orange.. or yellowish if faded heavily.

If your plugs are all white(all 8 of them) then motor is running lean and there is a problem. If there are no codes make sure there are no gasket or vacuum leaks and the air injection system is intact and functioning correctly or completely removed and everything plugged. If all that checks out and the motor idles at the right rpm and drives fine, disconnect the air temp sensor to force the computer open loop which will richen the mixture, gas milage will go down but the motor will last longer.

Ford Truck Articles