Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Im playing mechanic...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Drove over and high centered the whole truck on something.

kinda figured that... but where that dents at its above a cross member... so was meaning makes me wonder what they drove over to get the dent there..

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
!%%$#@$%^$%%%@##@#%$#$%^^%$#$%^#@ :icon_mecker:

IMG-20140917-01736_zpsc23afcc5.jpg

Last edited:

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
IMG-20150118-00411_zps5889abba.jpg

painted the other end of the bolts as well since they stick out.. finished them just before the clouds opened up..

so while it was raining i first ate some "breakfast" (at 1pm)..

then went back out into the garage and figured... hey ill clean out the grooves the new rings will sit in... since they were pretty crusty.. that and the new rings also went further around than the originals..

IMG-20150118-00412_zps07e2b4f8.jpg

Dremmel did a nice job with a cutting disc on it.. fit right in the hole..

IMG-20150118-00413_zps4383954b.jpg

got the axle side in.. along with the transfer case side in as well... only to have this happen..

get down to the VERY LAST ONE!!!... which was also the most pita one too...

IMG-20150118-00417_zps3d0d827a.jpg

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
No problems with paint on the threads threading back on?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC

nope.. never have before.. if the threads are tight enough sometimes itll cut into the paint.. but its soft paint for that very reason...

dustybumpers

don't play well w others

LOL Wait till he goes to take um back off. The paint will harden and seat, Acts just like loctite!!!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
LOL Wait till he goes to take um back off. The paint will harden and seat, Acts just like loctite!!!

That's been my experience as well as it balling up on installation.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I usually try not to paint the threads, as you can't achieve proper torque.

I know Shawn tho, he'll be back under the truck checking the torque next week, like we all should, but don't, so I won't fuss at him too loud.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC

sometimes it does sometimes it doesnt... never really had a problem with it.. even then if you ever notice they pretty much wish you to loctite every bolt on the vehicles these days...

not if it works like how loctite usually works for me.. itll rattle out within a week..

That's been my experience as well as it balling up on installation.

only ever had that happen once..

rambler

New Shoes......
I had that same mess last year.. ended up buying a torch just to loosen the bolts to get it off. and then hauled it up to a shop in KC that specializes in only driveshafts... he rebuilt it with new u-joints and I then installed it.. what a mess ..

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
i had heated with a torch to get the old ones out.. 20 ton press still barely budged them...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
got a new one coming... should be here tomorrow...

dustybumpers

don't play well w others

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
ujoint to replace the one that broke going in...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
I know Shawn tho, he'll be back under the truck checking the torque next week, like we all should, but don't, so I won't fuss at him too loud.

cant torque the bolts anyways... no way to get a tq wrench in there... my 3/8" ratchet wouldnt even fit.. had to use a regular wrench and a hammer to break them loose... least on the transfer case side... axle sides 1/4"... there was on on the transfer case side i had to use a bigger wrench on the smaller wrench as leverage because i couldnt get into it like the others...

You can over tighten the bolts on the uj and cause vibration. So torquing is recommended.
You need a crows foot open end wrench on the torque wrench.
Snug up the bolt then use the toque wrench.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
You can over tighten the bolts on the uj and cause vibration. So torquing is recommended.
You need a crows foot open end wrench on the torque wrench.
Snug up the bolt then use the toque wrench.

the ones for the axle side that clamp around the ujoint are rated to 26 ft-lbs.. they just get hand tightened... the other side its bolts to flange bracket they dont touch the ujoints at all.. getting a tq wrench in there is literally impossible too. they didnt get enough room between the back of the flange and the transfercase where the heads of the bolts sit..

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
IMG-20150122-00436_zps1tlfmhea.jpg

ive been taking the ride of shame all week :(

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts