Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I'm new and my truck is old!

Stoner Dan

California Chapter member
Just found this site this past week and thought I'd join the fray. I'm a fourth generation (family, not vehicle) Ford truck guy –– first thing I ever drove (and wrecked) was my dad's '73 F100 Trailer Special.

I've owned my '73 F250 for about six years now and I've been slowly collecting parts for a restoration. Looking forward to learning, collecting, fixing, breaking and fixing again more stuff with y'all's help!

STONER

Attachments

• IMG_5425.jpg
  • IMG_5426.jpg

FTF'er
Nice truck, and welcome to the forum! Is that you in your avatar pic?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Welcome to the site!

Stoner Dan

Sure is, 5.0 –– that was my granddad's F600 and me in the navigator's throne around 1973 or 1974.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Welcome aboard Dan. We have alot of 73-79 knowledge here. So enjoy your stay and post often. I wouldn't mind hearing a few more specs on that 250 of yours.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Welcome....love your avitar picture.....I can't wait to have my own like that someday with my kids strapped in a booster in my dent! smilieFordlogo

Stoner Dan

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

I've owned a few late-model Dodge pickups, but I've always wanted a '73-'75 F-Series since I moved away from home after college.

My dad had a pristine '73 Trailer Special, but I was racing a buddy in his '78 Camaro home from school one day (only had my license for a few months) and lost control in a curve on a back-country road and flipped it end-over-end before landing shiny-side up. I had gotten her close to 100mph and the only thing Dad could salvage from the wreck was the tailgate and the radio. Luckily, I had my lap belt on and only came away with stiff joints and a bruised ego.

Anyway, I finally got my 250 from a buddy of mine in '04 and have loved collecting parts for it ever since. I didn't realize it had a high-volume oil pump under its 460 till I spun a main bearing a few years ago. Unfortunately, I had it rebuilt, but got a bad set of rings (we think) and it's been using more oil than gas ever since. I'm still dealing with that, so I'm looking for another decent 460 that I can use so that I can yank the bad motor and take it back to the machine shop (can't have it sitting w/o a motor).

Right now, the 460's got an Edelbrock intake with a Holley 850 double-pumper on it, Hooker full-length headers, twin Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers, electronic ignition and a stock C6. I pull a tandem-axle flatbed trailer with it and use it fairly often to support my real bad hot rod habit (plus all my friends', too).

I've got a set of 16.5s all around with skinnies up front and wider tires in the rear, but it's hard to find those tires anymore, as I'm sure y'all know. I'm a glutton for punishment, so I had swapped out the 16s that were on it for these.

My plan is for a Seventies era-correct mild custom: basically, a few accessories and paint that would've been common in the early-to-mid Seventies. So, I'm always looking for a few things: a set of Denman bias-plys, a Hone-O-Drive overdrive unit, early trailer brake unit, assorted stock trim, interior parts, etc.

Looking forward to advice, help and willing to help out whenever I can around here!

welcome and nice truck

My plan is for a Seventies era-correct mild custom: basically, a few accessories and paint that would've been common in the early-to-mid Seventies. So, I'm always looking for a few things: a set of Denman bias-plys, a Hone-O-Drive overdrive unit, early trailer brake unit, assorted stock trim, interior parts, etc.

Looking forward to advice, help and willing to help out whenever I can around here!

Welcome. Nice truck you got there.

I'll take a look when I get home in a couple weeks, I might have an old trailer brake unit that I pulled from one of my parts trucks.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts