Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I'm in a quandary!(400 to 460?)

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Thanks for the info, Chris. The clutch seems to be working. I can here it kick in when I reduce speed and the air temp through the radiator goes up.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I know that those clutches can spin the fan and work mostly, even if it's worn, but there is some slippage and it doesn't quite do the full job.

Ryan

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
I have the stock gauge in mine, but, ever since the new radiator i can tow my camper in 95* heat and barely get over 1/2 on the gauge

Doug like the other guys are saying 220 on its own isn't bad and if you aren't loosing water then it isn't getting so hot that it's blowing the pressure cap open - what i'd be more concerned about is the temp differential between normal running and loaded running. What i'd do is go back over the engine and make sure it's not running too lean a mixture double check the timing and if the engine is still fluctuating in it's temperature ranges then i'd get an infrared temp gun and go looking for hot spots/restrictions around the cooling system especially around the waterpump area (i know that it would have been replaced during the rebuild but funny things can happen:) ) - i've seen/replaced waterpumps with damaged/missing vane's cause problems like this before .

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Thanks, everybody for the info. Guess I've got some checking to do. I WILL wait til it warms up outside. We need a frozen smilie!

I've also asked Santa for a straightup timing set!

Fellro

Staff member
With the mention of the gauge being not accurate, I would suggest a different gauge to verify that one isn't failed.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
What I was trying to say, is that there is room for interpretation on the gauge because of the way the gradations are put on the gauge. I need to get a gauge that has a smaller range with more numbers.

I have used an IR thermometer to verify the numbers on the top of the radiator at the inlet.

What is too hot for these engines? 230 deg? I was told by the installer of the first engine that manufacturers install a lead button inside the engine to determine whether or not the engine has been overheated.(for warranty purposes) If the button is melted, then they won't honor the warranty. He thought the button melted at 230-240 deg, but wasn't positive of the number.

I'd be worried at 230 deg too - just a couple of more quick questions Doug - is the trans running through it's own cooler or is it also included in the radiator?

When the truck is getting hot does it make it run slightly cooler if you turn on the heater in the cab?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I'd be worried at 230 deg too - just a couple of more quick questions Doug - is the trans running through it's own cooler or is it also included in the radiator?

When the truck is getting hot does it make it run slightly cooler if you turn on the heater in the cab?

Mark,

The tranny cooler in the bottom of the radiator is bypassed. I have a separate cooler out in front of the radiator.

And turning on the heater doesn't seem to make much difference, other than make me more miserable. :D

Mark,

The tranny cooler in the bottom of the radiator is bypassed. I have a separate cooler out in front of the radiator.

And turning on the heater doesn't seem to make much difference, other than make me more miserable. :D

Well that's that theory consigned to the dead duck bin.

Without looking at it maybe the best thing is a good tune up with extra special attention paid to making sure it's running slightly rich and going through the cooling system in it's entirety plus you could use a teekay system to make sure there are no exhaust gasses escaping into the coolant.
Water wetters do work but personally i'm not really in favour of "bottle fixes" imo your just treating the symptom and not addressing the underlying problem.
If you wanted to fit the 460 you could always retrofit it with a carb and one of those nice pertronix all in one distributors to keep it simple and more in line with the style of the truck - it's a beautiful truck too i might add and deserves to be used as often as possible ..... plus i'm just imagining those nice clean lines of a chromed , painted and polished 460 smilieFordlogo sitting in a gleaming jet black engine bay :) :)

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Well that's that theory consigned to the dead duck bin.

Without looking at it maybe the best thing is a good tune up with extra special attention paid to making sure it's running slightly rich and going through the cooling system in it's entirety plus you could use a teekay system to make sure there are no exhaust gasses escaping into the coolant.
Water wetters do work but personally i'm not really in favour of "bottle fixes" imo your just treating the symptom and not addressing the underlying problem.
If you wanted to fit the 460 you could always retrofit it with a carb and one of those nice pertronix all in one distributors to keep it simple and more in line with the style of the truck - it's a beautiful truck too i might add and deserves to be used as often as possible ..... plus i'm just imagining those nice clean lines of a chromed , painted and polished 460 smilieFordlogo sitting in a gleaming jet black engine bay :) :)

:rofl: Thank you, Mark.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts