Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

IH Red paint on my truck?

I'm going to do some body work on my '94 shortbed F150 and then paint it International Harvester Red.

I've got a gift card to get the paint at tractor supply. I've painted about 10 vehicles using this paint and I like it (for the price!).

My question is.......... didn't somebody on this forum have a truck painted IH Red? I'd like to see pics of his truck. Jim

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I'm going to do some body work on my '94 shortbed F150 and then paint it International Harvester Red.

I've got a gift card to get the paint at tractor supply. I've painted about 10 vehicles using this paint and I like it (for the price!).

My question is.......... didn't somebody on this forum have a truck painted IH Red? I'd like to see pics of his truck. Jim

That is the color I was planning for my F150 also. How did you paint yours? I have seen where they use mineral spirits to cut the paint like on.

http://rolledon.forummotion.com/

I buy the Tractor Supply paint that is called "Restoration" It's an automotive grade enamel made by Valspar. You can buy the special thinner and hardener that is specific to this paint.

I've used their tractor and implement enamel in the past also. It's cheaper pricewise and the quality isn't as good. I use naptha to thin this paint.

I have a cheap ($30) spray paint gun - Campbell Hausfeld. And I have a 26 gallon Campbell Hausfeld air compressor that I've used for about 10 years and it's still working.

If you can borrow a compressor and gun (or go buy the gun) the paint is 5o bucks for a gallon, the hardener is about 25 bucks or less and the thinner is about 8 bucks. So you'd have less than a $100 for a pretty decent amateur paint job.

I'm no expert painter but I get alot of compliments and requests to paint other's trucks. It's a very cheap way to make your truck look alot nicer.

Also, if you really want to go cheap pricewise you can buy the Tractor Supply Valspar Tractor and Implement paint. At my store it's 32 bucks a gallon, and the hardener I believe is 15bucks, and you can thin it with Naptha.

I've painted the majority of my vehicles with this paint in the past (til I started using the Restoration paint) and it does a nice job for the money.

I've had vehicles 3 years after I paint them and they still look decent. Actually after some time they just look like the original paint from the factory. Obviously with such cheap old school paint (industrial enamel) you won't get a show quality job, but you're also not paying very much for a new paint job that'll look decent for a while.

But I will say it's tough paint, and goes on easy enough.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Jeep that the same type of paint I use with the hardener it hold up great that's for sure.
If you thin it correctly and have your gun setup right it produces a quality finish. Saw a truck I painted 6 years ago a few weeks ago it still looked ok.

hey Smokey, I started using the T&I enamel about 8 years ago when you could get a gallon for $19. I've painted at least 8 vehicles with it over the years, and the price has been shooting up !

Then about a 2 years ago a buddy told me to try the "Restoration Series" enamel. I hated to spend the extra money on it but it was definitely worth it! It really outshines the regular tractor paint. If you read the ingredients you'll see the difference in the paint and also the thinner. The hardener is the exact same for both but you're suppose to add more to the "Restoration".

As soon as the weather gets better I'm gonna get some IH Red and do my F150.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I'll have to check out tractor supply. I get mine at a local hardware store.
No kidding on the price hikes.
I have to paint my ranger once the weather warms up.it will be the red also.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts