Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ignition switch and steering column quandry

I'm looking at buying an 88 250 diesel 4x4 from a friend. He says the only issue is that the ignition switch doesn't work anymore,it just rotates freely. I took a quick look at it and tried to find a way to open the steering column but it looks like it's covered with solid metal collars and that I have to pull the wheel off to get to the switch. Is this true or am I missing something. He doesn't have a shop manual for it and I haven't gotten one yet. Has anyone else encountered this issue with the ignition switch?
thanks ya'll
curtis

blacksnapon

Staff member
Yep, the wheel has to be removed.

You could always run a push botton so you can atleast tell how it runs and or drive it like that.

all you have to do is run a wire that is atleast hot when key is turned in run position, run this to push botton, then on the other side of the push bottom, run a wire from it to the starter solenoid.

I'd want to hear something run before i bought it.

primetime

sawmill slave
Some of them have a little hole. in the column, under the key switch. You insert a small screwdriver or drift in it, turn the key, and the lock cylinder pulls out. Otherwise, pull the wheel.

thanks guys. Never having pulled a wheel off before, do I need to get one of those specialized gear/wheel pullers or is it an easy pop-off job?

I had this very problem on my 1996 F-250. I changed the whole column; I found this to be easier. Too much info to explain if you want more input, call me @ 570-396-6889. This is my cell #.

Not able to look into the details for you right now (not at home)
so I don't know if this'll help you or not, but the ignition -switch-
itself is bolted-on low on the column with a control rod going to it.

I ran my Bronco a few moths with it hanging out just like this...
BroncoDynamat.jpg

...the switch is hanging there just above the gas pedal.

My "key" was a cotter pin puller (which I don't use to pull cotter
pins but use for almost everything else and no kidding on that,
get yourself one and you'll see what I mean ;) ...

cotterpin.jpg

Alvin in AZ

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Lemme guess it has a tilt wheel?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts