Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

If you were going to buy a new truck...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
See my sig. :D

Seriously- I sat down with the salesman, and had a list of what I HAD to have, and what I wanted- then we searched the lots in New England for the closest thing out there (and now it's sitting out front). Everything I wanted except the 4.10 gears, and a few things I didn't, but nothing I hate.

Must-haves:
-manual trans
-4x4
-extended cab

Wants (sort of in order):
-cloth seats and carpeted floor (for sound insulation, though now that I have one, I'm wondering about the wisdom of that choice)
-rear slider
-bucket seats
-A/C
-4.10 gears
-gray interior (I hate tan)

I also had a list of stuff I really have no opinion on, and also one of stuff I really didn't want.

Don't cares:
-electric vs. crank windows
-exterior color (with one exception- no red trucks, because of the color of my license plates)
-exterior chrome trim

And the long line of don't wants (which, mostly, don't apply to Rangers), any one of which alone would be most of the way to "uninterested at any price":
-leather
-automatic climate control
-built-in nav/GPS
-touch-screen radio

If money was no object, it'd probably be an F-350 diesel, equipped about the same- extended cab XLT, 6-speed, 4x4, SRW. Since I have no need for a truck like that, though, I'd have to be VERY comfortable financially to seriously consider one.

*Truth be told, though, if it weren't for the "stick-shift" requirement, a Silverado 1500 would be really, really high on my shopping list. I think they're good trucks, and the prices are very appealing. I know people driving base-model 4x4s who paid less than I did for my Ranger.

Last edited:
I do what I can, J.R.... :rolleyes:

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
i think i just drooled all over my keyboard.

Yeah, and IF I had that truck I'd be using every bit of it's designed abilities, five five horses, hauling usually 12-16ton a hay a year 4x4, will be having kids in the next few years... Yeah, something like that in my driveway would look good...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts